Android Code Snippet Generic Code Snippet Manager

Hi again.

I have added a Code Snippet Manager to B4x Object Browser (OB). You can get this by following the link in my signature below, however I have been asked to build something a little more generic.

In line with my own expectations, this isn't something that I can just "slap together" - it needs to work.
And by "work", I mean the GUI must be easy to use and require little or no explanation.

This is why I cannot have something up and running quickly.

What I can tell you is that it will still be a WinForms application, it will be written in .NET 3.5 (because even XP has version 3.5), and it will have some kind of indexing to allow searching. At this stage it will probably use SQLCE. It will also be multi-lingual just like the OB so that 'everyone' can use it easily. At this stage the OB has 30 languages (including English).

So, if you can hold on a bit longer (face it, it's been years already ;)), then I am certain that I can build something that we can all enjoy using.

As always, I do accept feature requests. Whether I can accommodate them or not is another matter ;)

I will put up screenshots when I have the GUI design stable.

Thanks for your patience.

PS - if you feel you would like to contribute, you can do so from the B4x Object Browser Options screen, however this is completely optional.

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
upload_2015-3-22_17-37-39.png

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Apologies to everyone - I have been in hospital for the last 2 days, and I'm still not better. I'm still here and it hasn't been forgotten.
Very sorry to hear that. Hope it's nothing g too serious and that you get better really soon. Remember the everything in life is a side project... the real challenge is to live.

schemer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Apologies to everyone - I have been in hospital for the last 2 days, and I'm still not better. I'm still here and it hasn't been forgotten.

Hope you get feeling better and its nothing serious. ;)
schemer

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
What, you didn't bring a laptop to the hospital?!?!? :)

Jokes aside, get well soon, no hurry with the snippet manager.

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, so you will need .net framework 4.02 at least, so because of the confusion that will cause, I'm thinking about making .net 4.5 the prerequisite.

Last edited:

manhof

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where can I find the CodeSnippet in the object browser ?
Who can i insert a own Code?

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
Each code snippet will be stored as per the following example...

This will make it comply 100% with ActiPro code snippets (Note @Erel) as well as Visual Studio snippets.

<?xmlversion="1.0"encoding="utf-8"?>
<CodeSnippetsxmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/CodeSnippet">
<CodeSnippetFormat="1.0.0">
<!-- The header contains information describing the snippet. -->
<Header>

<!-- The Title of the snippet, this will be shown in the snippets manager. -->
<Title>Insert Notifying Property</Title>

<!-- The description of the snippet. -->
<Description>Inserts an Apex Notifying Property.</Description>

<!-- The author of the snippet. -->
<Author>Dave Kerr</Author>

<!-- The set of characters that must be keyed in to insert the snippet. -->
<Shortcut>apexnp</Shortcut>

<!-- A URL for more help. -->
<HelpUrl>http://apex.codeplex.com</HelpUrl>

<!-- The set of snippet types we're dealing with - either Expansion or -->
<SnippetTypes>
<SnippetType>Expansion</SnippetType>
</SnippetTypes>
</Header>

<!-- Now we have the snippet itself. -->
<Snippet>

<!-- Sepecify the code language and the actual snippet content. -->
<CodeLanguage="CSharp"Kind="any">
<![CDATA[
// My first snippet!

]]>
</Code>
</Snippet>
</CodeSnippet>
</CodeSnippets>

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
^^^ Wow that formatting was badly stripped by the Forum software, and isn't really representative of the actual format.

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, I am stuck trying to work out what format the local database should be. .Net Framework 4.02 is too hard to check for (for the end-user), and use of something like an Access Database (*.accdb) is not possible without distributing Microsoft files (that require licensing, as well as a separate install), so I'm still thinking it through...

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not bad, but it doesn't look like an embedded database. I could be wrong, I didn't look too deeply.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, I am stuck trying to work out what format the local database should be. .Net Framework 4.02 is too hard to check for (for the end-user), and use of something like an Access Database (*.accdb) is not possible without distributing Microsoft files (that require licensing, as well as a separate install), so I'm still thinking it through...
Have you considered LibreOffice? It is a free equivalent to Microsoft Office, slightly less polished but very good and gaining in popularity. It also has a database program called Base which I believe uses an open format... https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you considered LibreOffice? It is a free equivalent to Microsoft Office, slightly less polished but very good and gaining in popularity. It also has a database program called Base which I believe uses an open format... https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/
I don't think that you understand the requirement. I do not want the end-user to install anything other than my one setup. However, thanks very much for your input.

It looks like I have settled on SQLLite.

dennis w haupt

Licensed User
I'm sorry but I'm having the ssame problem

""""Where can I find the CodeSnippet in the object browser ?"""""

I have done everything