Wish: auto manifest editing

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
The new live wallpaper library (thank you by the way) requires us to edit xml files and lock them. It'd be nice if you could add data to the libraries xml file to tell b4a how to do it automatically

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or even just have it automatically merge an xml file with the manifest during compiling (ie: mergeme.xml)

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think the most simple solution would be if B4A would support Manifest templates that are stored in the Project folder and will be only used for this project. So if your app needs modification of the Manifest you can edit a local copy of the template.

With this method you don't have to check the "Don't overwrite Manifest file" option and so you don't have to always manually edit the Manifest if you just change version number of your app etc.

@Erel:
How about this solution? Should be easy to implement and I think easy to use. Just search for Manifest Template in project folder. If not exists search in B4A program folder.

WizardOz

Licensed User
Longtime User
corwin42's solution sounds like a good and easy fix to this problem that is getting bigger everytime b4a has a new library or special function.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have some plans to simplify the customization of manifest files. The manifest changes will be set in the libraries themselves. This should cover most of the cases where the manifest file needs to be customized.

This suggestion is possible. One downside is that if a new version of Basic4android is released with a new template design then the old custom template will cause problems.

NeoTechni

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have some plans to simplify the customization of manifest files. The manifest changes will be set in the libraries themselves. This should cover most of the cases where the manifest file needs to be customized.

This suggestion is possible. One downside is that if a new version of Basic4android is released with a new template design then the old custom template will cause problems.

Awesome. Solution: include a version number for the template engine. Anytime you make a change that eould break the old templates, you only put it in the new version and retain the old behavior for the old versions