Cannot find aapt.exe

JOFA666

Licensed User
Longtime User
:sign0085:

I recently ran an update in my Android SDK manager. Since then, whenever I try to debug my program, I receive the following error:

Cannot find: C:\Android\SDK\tools\..\platform-tools\aapt.exe
Please configure paths (Tools - Configure Paths).

There is no option to configure the path for aapt.exe in the configure paths dialogue.

I have looked in my android folder, and now aapt.exe resides in

C:\Android\SDK\build-tools\17.0.0\

This is a serious problem, as I am unable to debug my programs!!! Copying and pasting the file to the location B4A wants seems like a temporary fix, that will have to be repeated after every SDK update.

Possibly, there should be an optional place in "Configure Paths" to specify where aapt.exe resides. This would fix many problems.

I am running version 2.70

Please help!

Last edited:

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The latest SDK update moves the aapt.exe file, you will have to copy it from: <ANDROID_DIRECTORY>\build-tools\<SDK_LEVEL> to <ANDROID_DIRECTORY>\platform-tools.

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see it now too. Note that you should also copy the lib folder to the platform-tools folder:

SS-2013-05-18_17.01.49.png

It will be fixed in the next update.

JOFA666

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok. Thanks for the help. At least now I know that I am not the only one with this problem.

bodycode

Licensed User
Longtime User
Platform-tools?

That definitely didn't work. B4A is looking for "android.jar". There's no android.jar in platform-tools, so it doesn't look like it'll work.

I got a much larger error list now.

I see it now too. Note that you should also copy the lib folder to the platform-tools folder:

SS-2013-05-18_17.01.49.png

It will be fixed in the next update.

bodycode

Licensed User
Longtime User
no spaces, and, it's 64 bit java.

No spaces in my paths even though all my apps are on a seperate hd.

I will retry this from scratch. Can it be 64 bit java or not? I downloaded and installed 64 bit jdk 7. In addition, I installed the eclipse/adt bundle.

I'm not confusing aapt.exe with android.jar. I will try this again from the beginning, this time, at the "newbie lounge" :)

Do not confuse "android.jar" with "aapt.exe" the problem you mentioned has nothing to do with the jar file, have you followed THESE instructions to setup B4A?

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
All working well for me

I just updated to the latest SDK version and B4A still seems to be working fine, i am using v2.71. So great job :):sign0060:

cadcamman

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys

I Have a workaround until Erel's Program Revision is available, which basically involves just not updating to rev .22. Steps as follows:

1 Uninstall the SDK
2 Reinstall the SDK (remember no spaces)
3 Run SDK Manager
4 Click install 11 packages
5 Select Android SDK Tool Rev .22
6 Click Reject
7 Click Remaining items and select accept
8 Click install (this will install all but 1 package, which is rev .22)
9 Close the SDK Mangager
10 Install basic4Android (if not already installed and set forder names as normal)

This worked on my system, dont know if there will be minor variations on individual systems

Regards

zombee81

Licensed User
Longtime User
All you need to do is copy aapt.exe and the libs folder to the platform-tools directory. Solves the problem, just make sure you copy and not move them.

Regards

jdevsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

now after new installation after reinstall of my PC (Windows 7) and update to SDK it dosn´t work under v3.00 same error:

B4X:
Cannot find: C:\Android\SDK\tools\..\platform-tools\aapt.exe
Please configure paths (Tools - Configure Paths).

Now i see that in all directories i don´t have a file aapt.exe why that ?

On my first installation (non Windows 7 B4A 2.71 / Android SDK) i have it....??

Any idea why i don´t get this file if i preinstall the SDK ?

Now i find out that if i use installer_r21-windows.exe instead of installer_r22-windows.exe of
the android sdk installer it works and i get the missing files on installation process.

Anybody has the same errors with new SDK ?

Last edited:

jdevsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes i add one platform (Android 4.0.4 & 2.3.3) but both errors that file not found if i use installer v21 or v22

jdevsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
i will reinstall today afternoon and then i come back if i have an result

But if this installation process you wrote are now work you must modify the documentation for the future.
Old installation are different !