Bug? Error with the new aapt.exe

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got the SDK upgrade yesterday, compiled several apps, no issues at all.
I also upgraded the Java SDK by the way.
I should have mentioned that this problem does not happen with all projects. It seems that the contents of the Files folder matters. In my case, that fails with all my important projects, with many images in Files. I reverted to the aapt.exe of build 20 and the problem is gone.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is this related to the app constantly failing to compile to the phone? I've been trying to figure out what's going on lately. I've been using the rapid debugger much more lately, but also have been making significant changes as well.

It's a very large project and what happens is 4 or 5 times out of ten, the app fails to connect to the debugger, or the whole process just times out. After restarting ADB, cleaning project, and disconnecting the phone, it eventually will compile and run. Very frustrating. Seems to work better (less glitches) on Wi-Fi, but it does occasionally glitch there too.

I've tried different usb ports and cables with no change. I can run it off and on for 10 minutes with no problems and the next try turns into 15 minutes of unplugging, resetting ADB, resetting pc and or phone.

I never used to have so many problems with this. Too many things have changed recently for me to point to the problem though: New galaxy s5, Two new Win 8.1 notebook computers, latest sdk update, and more use of rapid debug than I used to use.

Does this seem related? If so (or if not), does anyone have any suggestions for fixes? My R.A.D. development isn't so R.A.D. lately. :(

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The new aapt.exe that is downloaded with the Android SDK Build-tools 21.0.1 fails to run properly with B4A. During the packaging, it stops working with an error message (saying it has stopped working).

In the issue posted by Erel there is now a bugfix version of aapt.exe posted by the Android team. Seems to work again with this version.