Android Tutorial Nice utity for wireless file transfers

SwiFTP Server
This utility allows you to transfer files or applications to a device that is not connected by cable to your computer.
You can find it by searching the Android market. When it runs it allows you to connect with a FTP client to your device and transfer files.
There are many FTP clients. I'm using: Free FTP client, secure file transfer software and it is working very good.

Together with a file manager (which you can find by searching the market) it allows you to copy the APK file from <source code>\Objects to the device sd card, and then install the APK file by clicking on it. Note that you will need to put the APK file in a sub folder and not directly in sd card root folder.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice tip Erel. I will try it . Thanks.

I am using two other methods for transfering files (in general the APK) between PC and device, namely:

1) by GMail as an attachment. At least on my Desire HD with Froyo 2.2, I can then open the e-mail with the GMail-application and install the APK directly.

2) I bought a bluetooth-adapter for my PC (EUR. 10,00 or so) and paired it with my device. Then on the PC, you just select the file and say "Send to bluetooth-device". Then on the device, I can install the APK immediately.

Cor

Licensed User
Longtime User
FYI:

gmail and installing apk does not work with android 1.6 htc magic with latest system update

grCor

maXim

Licensed User
Longtime User

Smee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Been a while since this thread has been updated and i dont know if the bridge is used to copy files but fwiw.... I had a need to copy thousands of jpegs to a tablet whilst testing.

My solution and it is fantastically easy to copy files to any directory on the tablet is this

FTP server on the android .. https://sites.google.com/site/andreasliebigapps/ftpserver

and for the PC i just use FileZilla.

Both freeware and both very easy to set up

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Dropbox :)

Using a shared folder I can also allow a couple of beta testers to pick up any beta code :)

If you're interested, use this link, you get an extra 250MB free allowance and so do I. http://db.tt/nnkkzd6