Android Question Best approach for database in App

malcfreem

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi. I have been asked to build a new app which will interface with an online database by both downloading and uploading data. Briefly..
A web app will be built so dealers can log in and enter their details.
Dealers can also set up special offers for trade events

The Android app must access the online database (above) and allow attenders of the trade events to download special offers to a wallet on their phone/tablet.

They can then present (show) them to the dealers and get the special offer.

I have a number of questions, please:-
1) Can I build an SQL Lite database which will be usable as the online database (ie loaded to the domain space)
2) I am guessing that, when a person logs into the Android app, I should be querying the online database
and storing any special offers locally (in a replica SQL Lite database) for them to browse and save any of interest in a 'wallet'on their phone/tablet
3) Would this approach enable a flag to be sent back to the online database to update a count of offer redeemers?

Am a bit overwhelmed at the challenge at the moment so any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

Malcolm

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You have three options:
- Use RDC (Remote Database Connector) as the web service that connects between the devices and the online database. Use a database such as MySQL.
- Use the PHP or ASP.Net solutions to create the web service (search for PHP MySQL)
- If the database is small you can download the SQLite database to the device and then work with it locally.

Upvote 0