distribute apk?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
a question:

the other day I tried a few apk:s produced by other forum-members. I simply copied the file on SD-card and then using a file-explorer (like Astra) I installed the applications. No problems but maybe because my Android is running a "rooted" version.

Now, let's say I want a group of beta-testers to test my application and they do not have "rooted" devices, can I still pass them on the apk-file, perhaps in an e-mail, and will they be able to install the application? Or do I need to upload "my beta-applications" (which can be numerous) to the Marketplace for them to download?

mtw

Licensed User
Longtime User
To post on the marketplace you have to have your apk signed, as far as rooted, I only root mine when I need to and the few apps posted here I tested on mine without it rooted and they worked and installed fine.

I would just email the apk's to them, they can save and install from the email attachment.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks! That was the information I wanted to hear. I though Android-distribution was perhaps as rigid/strict as the one Microsoft seems to have put in place for WP7.

To post on the marketplace you have to have your apk signed, as far as rooted, I only root mine when I need to and the few apps posted here I tested on mine without it rooted and they worked and installed fine.

I would just email the apk's to them, they can save and install from the email attachment.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
interesting reading although I think that would be too much for some testers less familar with computers etc. I hope that in most cases just passing on the apk-file as an e-mail attachment will work.

You can install from PC using the adb command line, see here Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers
I haven't done that yet since I have only an emulator (yet) but with the emulator it works.

Upvote 0

mtw

Licensed User
Longtime User
interesting reading although I think that would be too much for some testers less familar with computers etc. I hope that in most cases just passing on the apk-file as an e-mail attachment will work.

Yes it would be, not all testers are going to have the android sdk installed, also moster in order to install your apk's they need to have the "Install Unknown Sources" enabled (Settings>Applications>Unknown Sources)

Upvote 0