Using "android:largeheap"

Mickster

Licensed User
Longtime User
Our app is dedicated for use on a Tablet, running Honeycomb (Android 3.0.x) or later. Apparently, this uses API level 11 and up.

I also came across this statement (from here)

“As of API 11 , it's possible to have more heap size by adding the "android:largeHeap = true" into your manifest file. In some devices , the heap size may increase to 256 MB. For API 10 and older , it's unfortunately impossible to increase the heap size since it's a system variable.“

And this document claims that different systems have different sizes.

We tried entering 'android:largeHeap = “true” ' in the Manifest Editor but the compiler didn't like it.

Here's an example of someone using it successfully.

Would someone happen to know just how to make this entry in the Manifest Editor, please? :sign0104:

COBRASoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anybody got this working? It keeps failing here :(. Android SDK 10 installed and I changed the path to android.jar.

Upvote 0

Mickster

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need minimum SDK 11.

Works beautifully!!!!! Thanks Erel! Free of memory problems at last!

Mickster

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am working on an app for Jellybeans. My app is crashing because of OUT OF MEMORY. Can somebody help me how to increase the memory of the app.

Thanks

I'm probably going to answer something stupid, but instead of trying to eat more memory, why not reducing the consumption ? The memory is something critical in a lot of Android apps using graphics, so the solution is probably more a clever way of using it than increasing the heap size. Of course, this comment is purely theoretical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

manishmnit

I'm probably going to answer something stupid, but instead of trying to eat more memory, why not reducing the consumption ? The memory is something critical in a lot of Android apps using graphics, so the solution is probably more a clever way of using it than increasing the heap size. Of course, this comment is purely theoretical.
I have worked a lot on reducing the usage of memory but in the end i have no other option but to increase the memory size.

Upvote 0