I'd like to show you my games

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very nice, Ilan !

I ask myself how to earn with this beautiful apps!

We need a serious marketing thread!

Thanx. Indeed earning from apps today is not simple but as long as you enjoy coding and creating apps you cant loose.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you develop apps for fun, ok, but if you spend many hours, days, weeks, month programming and you don't earn "enough"...!

It is a mix of both. I did spent a lot hours, nights, weeks, month to create all my apps (about 50) but it is not that i am depending on them. I have a full time job so everything i earn from coding is like a bonus so there is no pressure to make enough earning from it. But its nice to make something you enjoy and also earn from it.

I also like very much this forum. You learn a lot from here. Not only b4x. I learned here a lot about php, mysql, java.. and also meet great people here.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was answering making a comparison between a programmer and a writer (of books - of the past, today few people read books).
Doing it I understood: you need to write a best-seller, so this is what I will do :D

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am having the same issue. I was going for a platformer game or another box2d game but then found myself working on a puzzle game that i have almost finished.
Yeah, I think it's a common issue. I happens a lot to me:p
I'm working on a game, and then I have an idea, a game I think I could make and then I start making a prototype. Just take a look at how many games I've started!
And I don't think it's a good habit. I think we should focus in only one project and go for it until release.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
starting projects is very exciting...finishing them is usually a pain :confused:

i normally label my not finished Project with "IN PROGRESS" and i just realized that i have 28 B4A "IN PROGRESS" Projects and 17 B4i "IN PROGRESS" Projects :confused:

is this normal?

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
A little update of my UFO game:

The game mechanics are allready there. One by one you have to get the aliens and take them home.
Some ideas to implement:
In each level you'll have a limited fuel (or energy)
You'll be able to buy powerups with the coins you get.
These powerups could be: more fuel, a shield to reduce the impacts and a magnet to get the coins from the the distance.
Of course with the coins you can buy more UFOs
I think these games are addictive (think about UGH), and I love the retro pixel art style.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Another update...

I think I've added enough things that a level can have. Circular saws that can move or be static (they'll kill you if you touch them), metal things that can also kill you...
There are particles. Some of them, the ones that appear when you hit the UFO, are programatically generated and are also box2d bodies, and there is the UFO smoke that appears when your life is too low or when you die, wich are libGdx particles.
Now it's time to start making game menus, level selection, a cute intro, a shop... it will take me an lot of time, I suppose.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i like the smoke effect looks great :)

consider putting the smoke behind the ufo and not in the front where it covers the ufo.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Testing menus...

The name is some kind of random, but I had to put something...
Also changed the background to a more detailed one, I think it fits well. I dont know if it can be called parallax, as there is only one background layer, but it moves slower than the the main scene, giving some depht effect. And if you take a look, the clouds are moving slowly.
Also changed the life and fuel bars...

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Beautiful menu design!! You do perfectly capture the 90's spirit! Love it! :D

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all, I think it is a great game and job, @melonZgz.

However I'm thinking of the majority of people who say that apps must have great graphic but you have deliberately chosen to use pixelated images; I fear it might be counterproductive, or not?

I hope to be wrong, of course; good luck! :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

However I'm thinking of the majority of people who say that apps must have great graphic but you have deliberately chosen to use pixelated images; I fear it might be counterproductive, or not?

i like pixel arts and i think they are still very liked by lots of people. the retro look is getting more popular today. (in my opinion)

btw its 4:20 am and i dont know why i am still awake and answering here in b4x :confused::confused::confused:

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User

As @ilan said, pixel art is very popular nowadays. Just think about minecraft, or take a look at the store, there are many many popular games using pixel graphics... retro is back!

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok. I think it's time to get my UFO game back to production!
I'd like to show you some progress I've done:
There's a shop where you can buy powerups.
There is a shield that reduces the impacts, a magnet that attracts the coins and a pulse that disables all the mechanisms temporally. All the powerups have a limited time. You can also fill your deposit. you can see them in action in the video.
Also added water (with particle effects!) and made a basic buoyancy.
I hope to have a playable beta in less than one month...