Share My Creation ESP8266 Internet Clock

My first B4R project using WeMos D1 mini (ESP8266), 8x8 LED matrix, buzzer and a touch switch. It's work together with my old B4J raspberry pi iClock project as a companion device. The raspberry pi clock located in my living room and this ESP8266 located in my bed room. (or any other remote location with WIFI connected)

This device communicate with the raspberry using MQTT to get the time info as ESP8266 don't have real time clock, it have 3 mode:

1. Clock Mode : Display time information and alarm (8x8 LED + buzzer)

2. Motion Detect Monitor : If my raspberry pi clock in living room detected a motion (PIR Sensor), it will send a MQTT message and this device will draw a smile face.

3. Sleep Mode : Trun off the LED as it's too bright at night, but only display the alarm message (e.g. alarm clock or internet message)

Extra feature : Internet Messager Receiver - my phone installed a MQTT message app (build by B4I) and it can send message to the clock and display the running text on the 8x8 LED matrix with alert tone.

IMG_9745A.jpg
IMG_9732A.jpg
IMG_9731A.jpg

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It would have looked even cooler if the white box was translucent, then no need for the cut-off for the led matrix.

Also, you could get the time from an internet time server using Erel's sample available in the samples, thus not needing the matter nor the pi (true stand alone)

Still, very cool...
Question, what are you using to detect the tapping?

Hypnos

Licensed User
Longtime User
It would have looked even cooler if the white box was translucent, then no need for the cut-off for the led matrix.

Also, you could get the time from an internet time server using Erel's sample available in the samples, thus not needing the matter nor the pi (true stand alone)

Still, very cool...
Question, what are you using to detect the tapping?

making the box is the most difficult part for me. next project I will try using translucent material for the neopixel and hope that I can able to make it more good looking : )

Don't know Erel have the time server example there, need to check it out later!

The esp8266 clock is now at my office, when I see the smile face, I know that my kid is back from school and not playing outside :p the main Pi clock unit will capture a photo also when PIR sensor detected a motion and I can receive the photo from my mobile phone B4i app. Thanks for B4X!

(The Pi clock installed PIR sensor and a Pi camera as well).

image.png
image.jpeg

Last edited:

suciwulans

Licensed User
Longtime User
i wonder, how you configure the setting inside cloudmqtt for the connection from ESP9266 to cloudmqtt? there is any example code B4R for connecting ESP8266 to cloudmqtt? how you obtain time from cloudmqtt?