B4R Question ESP8266 OTA updating

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was wondering if B4R supports OTA updates or would I need to use the Arduino IDE.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can you elaborate on this?

I don't think the board itself can handle OTA Updates...

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
It does support OTA. The official docs describe it but I don't have it handy right now. Here's a link showing examples using Arduino IDE.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interesting... Is that firmware version stable and available?

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm pretty sure it's available as I see several examples but not sure how stable. With this option a requirement for my project I'll be finding out.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do keep a separate thread for how to upgrade the firmware. I bet there's a lot of users interested in this as I became too.
As for the question, as f now, no, B4R cannot (yet) do OTA... You should add it to the wishes subforum

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will add it to the wish list but in the meantime I guess I'll be going back to using the Arduino IDE for development.

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
After further research it appears that the Arduino method won't work. My modules will be remote so I will need to use the http server OTA method.

Upvote 0

davehouston

Licensed User
It does support OTA. The official docs describe it but I don't have it handy right now. Here's a link showing examples using Arduino IDE.

One thing in the linked page - "Flash chip size is 2x the size of the sketch."

Kolban explains that you only use 1/2 of the flash. Your OTA upload goes to the unused half and then you switch to it for operation.

Upvote 0