This thread is more then 25 days old...

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

i understand when a thread is 1 year old that it may be not always right to put questions there but 25 days is really not much o_O

for1.png

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/panel-touch-event.75652/#content

An Schi

Licensed User
I'd say let it be that way for 2 month and then we can see if this more annoying or helpfull...

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'd say let it be that way for 2 month and then we can see if this more annoying or helpfull...
I think it is useful but also annoying :). I would set it at least to 2 month.

Also, sometimes a new thread can be the best choice, but not so rarely add a post in an old thread can be better (and I know that for this reason you can "force"...)

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also think extending the thread age to 1 year (since the last post in the thread, not thread start) would be more appropriate.

By posting in an existing thread you implicitly include all the context information of the previous posts within your new post or add-on question.

If starting a new thread you need to re-create all this context information, if it is relevant.

Over the past few years I can think of many times where the previous context was important for my new post.

Barry.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also think the warning should always be the same and not change if the period from the last post is different.

In the past i always saw this thread is older then 1 year. Now i also see this thread is older then 5 years or 7 years....

In my opinion the warning should be the same and the period should be 1 year.

... but who am i? Just a simple person :oops:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The reasons for this are:

1. It is easier, at least for me, to discuss a question when it is confined in a single thread.
2. It is much easier to find relevant threads while searching, when each thread covers exactly one specific question. This is a critical point and is the key for building a useful knowledge base.
This is one of the reasons that Stackoverflow is such a useful resource.

The ideal thread structure is:
First post with clear title and one specific question.
Few posts with suggestions or clarifications if needed.
Last post with solution.

Later if someone comes and asks a follow up question in the same thread then the thread is no longer easy to follow and no one will ever find the follow up question. Instead the new question should be posted in a new thread (maybe with a link to the other question).

There are few cases where it does make sense to post in the same thread. In those cases you can click on the checkbox and post.

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I agree totally with Erel here and I don't understand the discussion. It is only a warning and can be overridden with a single click.

In the past I prefered all questions related to one of my libraries in the libraries thread. That was because I often hadn't the time to read all questions in the questions forum. Now I changed my mind and think it is easier to have each question in its own thread. Simply because the forum doesn't have a "Search in thread" feature.

Some library threads have now 30 or more pages. If I know that there was a solution posted somewhere in the thread that is now asked again it is not easy to find the solution that was posted on page 37 of 69 for example.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, reading this thread now I think that the best solution would be to permanently close the thread (lock it), inviting the author to add [SOLVED] to the title.

If someone asks a question without having first searched on site, you should answer with a link to the relevant thread, and a day later you delete this new useless thread.

This only if the question was really solved.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
you should answer with a link to the relevant thread, and a day later you delete this new useless thread.
Different members use different language. So the "useless" thread can be actually useful as someone might enter a search term and find the newer thread and then follow the link to the more important thread.

I think that the best solution would be to permanently close the thread (lock it), inviting the author to add [SOLVED] to the title.
I think that closing all threads is a bit too aggressive.
I wanted to add an option to mark a post as the "answer" post. However I didn't find any forum addon that worked good enough.