iOS Question BLE for IOS and Android

DickD

Licensed User
I'm porting my Android app over to IOS. The android app uses Bluetooth to transfer data including an image of about 200K. I've got all the modules ported except for communications. Before I dive in I need to make sure I am using the right tool so that the two different devices can exchange data.

I've read the various postings about BLE for IOS. I'm not clear as to whether I can transfer a 200K image in a reasonable amount of time (or at all) between the two. I see BLE is limited to 300 bytes/second. If so then a 200K image would take 11 minutes?????

So I guess Ble might not work for me. I don't think IOS supports WIFI Direct so it looks like the only option left is to go with full WIFI.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Are there any other options I should investigate for transferring files directly between Android and IOS? Using a web server is not an option at this time.

DickD

Licensed User
Yes.

The main question is whether the two devices are connected to the same network or not. If not then you will need to start a hotspot network for the connection (this is better than WiFi direct which is less reliable).
Thanks. Now I know where not to waste my time. Unfortunately it will result in a thousand questions starting in about an hour.

Upvote 0