Images of the day

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
An image of my mountain hike this morning.
I live in the village in the middle right.

upload_2018-6-21_16-40-20.png

Hi Erel, below an image of vine treatments by helicopter.
There are projects to make these treatments by drones.
Maybe a new market niche for you :)!

upload_2018-6-21_16-44-40.png

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is this your farm Klaus?
Just wondering how they testing the quality in the winery.

j_o_h_n

Licensed User
I don't drink but even so I have never heard of Swiss wines!

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No, I don't have a farm.
But I like their final products.
There is no quality problem in the winery. These treatments are necessary and well managed and controled.

Right! I know.
I am designing a quality test device and that's why I wanted to know about the technology They are using.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Right! I know.
I am designing a quality test device and that's why I wanted to know about the technology They are using.
That's like creating a machine to test the quality of a Rembrandt, a Goudy or even a Picasso... all the machine will be able to do is to determine the composition of the materials used... the Quality, The Genius, will only be perceivable by a human mind.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't drink but even so I have never heard of Swiss wines!
Swiss wines are unknown internationaly, the production is, I think, too small.
In my village, 9000 people, there are 25 family drivem wine makers, with small productions.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's like creating a machine to test the quality of a Rembrandt, a Goudy or even a Picasso... all the machine will be able to do is to determine the composition of the materials used... the Quality, The Genius, will only be perceivable by a human mind.

Are you sure? Are you in the winery industry?
Can human mind determine the amounts of alcohol. pH, glucose... etc.. My device tests for 8 analytes.. Wine factories send hundreds of samples to external test laboratories every day for analysis.. Maybe you are mixing between test and taste.

Edit:
"the Quality, The Genius" are the result of the correct percentages of the analytes, or what you call materials"

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I stand by my answer... you can, and apparently will be testing chemical composition, Not the wine quality!

You can give 10 master-chefs the exact same recipe, and they will follow it to the letter, but that does not ensure you that the taste will be the same for all 10. and then, the presentation of the resulting dish, will certainly not be the same for all 10!

If, according to your logic, all that we need for a "Quality" wine is the right amount of analytes, then why de we have so very different price tags from year to year harvest?
Why don't they just reproduce their "Best wine" and make huge profits? Why do we have bottles costing thousands of dollars, if it is "only" a matter of the right materials?

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If, according to your logic, all that we need for a "Quality" wine is the right amount of analytes, then why de we have so very different price tags from year to year harvest?
Why don't they just reproduce their "Best wine" and make huge profits? Why do we have bottles costing thousands of dollars, if it is "only" a matter of the right materials?

Different reasons..
(Among them)
1. Length of storage (2 years more expensive than one year)
2. Different test devices and methods.. (e.g. some GPS receivers from one manufacturer is more accurate than another because they use smarter formula)
3. Different consumer preferences.
So tasters do not simply check for universal quality.

But!

There are limits to the levels of different chemicsks that you cannot exceed for all classes of wine. e.g. pH level. Tasters cannot measure such levels and report values. This is a technical process. Tasters may detect bad quality but they can't tell it's from pH imbalance but devices like mine can tell you the quality in terms of math curves that can be interpreted by software and determine with high accuracy the degree of quality.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The vinemakers here let analyse their vines in specialized laboratories.

So here..

Specialized remote labs, time waste and costly. When results return in a week or so, sometimes the properties of wine change and they need to do new tests.
Average cost of test in these external labs is $50/Analyte. (Not with a company-owned, hand-held and on-site test and analysis device).

Dabzy1978

Licensed User
One of my fave photo's (Attached), this was taken in the cable car on my way up Aiguille Du Midi to see the summit of Mont Blanc, its one of my favourite pictures as its so bloody gorgeous to look at!

Dabz

PS First post on the forum, and this thread caught my eye as I like to travel about a bit! :)

Attachments

• 2085098698383785.jpg
    2085098698383785.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 172