Joining the 3D printing club!

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

So, finally Santa decided to grant me a wish, and it even came early.
I got myself a brand new Creality Ender 3.

I already assembled the machine, and downloaded Fusion360, Blender and Cura... (Do I need something else?)

Got a 1Kg black PLA to play with...
Time to start enjoying and amaze some unbelievers.

amidgeha

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

I already assembled the machine, and downloaded Fusion360, Blender and Cura... (Do I need something else?)

I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time. You might need a 3D scanner (if you can afford to buy one). Since you are a programmer, learning G-Code is a lot of fun too and simple to send to a serial port of Arduino with stepper motor controller.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

Enjoy it ! Mine is the Ender 2, bought two years ago.
During 1 year it was sleeping in a closet, and last month, I've printed a specific tool for the house and it printed fine at first attempt without doing anything more than insert the SD card with the gcode model!!

I use Fusion 360 (and tinkercad for simplest objects) and Simplify 3D

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
around here a busines is printing humans :)
yes, printing you in 3D.

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
All programmers will love openSCAD. Had my Ender 3 just over a year. A whole bundle of fun.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm completely new to 3D CAD design, I always did my designs by hand with a pen(cil) and paper.
I'm having a very hard time getting thing as I want them in fusion 360...
Is it right to say that, after extruding a sketch, all physical dimensions become unchangeable, like a rectangle, after converted to a 3D body by extrusion can no longer be altered in its base dimensions?

Last edited:

charlesg

Licensed User
Longtime User
You have hit the nail on the head. You can size objects parametrically in both Fusion and Blender but it is not intuitive. I can respect Blender but, I am afraid, not Fusion. Both have big learning curves. Here is a 32mm sliding door runner that I knocked up in openSCAD this morning.

upload_2019-12-15_13-17-41.png

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I downloaded OpenSCAD, and although I can see myself using it, it will take a lot of time to get a grips with it...
In the meantime, I gave Fusion360 another try and this was the end result:
(This will be a craddle for another print)

upload_2019-12-15_22-23-37.png

D

Deleted member 103

Hi @Cableguy ,
welcome to the 3d printer world. :)
Why did you choose this 3d printer?
For the same price you could have bought an "Anycubic i3 Mega" in which the assembly takes less than 5 minutes.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @Cableguy ,
welcome to the 3d printer world. :)
Why did you choose this 3d printer?
For the same price you could have bought an "Anycubic i3 Mega" in which the assembly takes less than 5 minutes.
It was a Christmas gift, even though I did choose this one, mainly because of all the feedback I read and watched.
Assembly took about 20 mins, and my first test print came out perfect.