iOS Tutorial Installing apps with Apple Configurator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting from B4i v7.20 it is possible to install apps, when the iOS device is physically connected to a local Mac, using Apple Configurator 2.
It is supported by all iOS versions and is a must with iOS 14.5+ when using the local builder.

Benefits:

- No need to approve installation.
- Simpler process.

Enabling this feature is done under Tools - Build Server - Server Settings.

On the Mac:

- Open the app store.
- Install and run Apple Configurator 2
- Select Install Automation Tools in the top left menu.

Note that the B4i builder server cannot be started from SSH.

Last edited:

james_sgp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I`m a little stuck... I`ve installed Configurator 2 from the Apple Store on my Macbook (with runs B4iBuildServer); but I can`t see any option to install "Automation Tools"....there isn`t a 'top left menu' (only the 3 colored balls).

What am I doing wrong, can someone pls help?

James

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
I think you're looking at the configurator working window (which has the three colored balls.) Look at the top of the screen. You should see a gray banner with the Apple logo, then next to it an item titled: Apple Configurator 2. Click on this and a submenu will open with the automation tools option you're looking for.

james_sgp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Neil, thanks...just got it working this morning. I updated OS yesterday then installed C2, for some reason, it wasn`t showing the top menu bar. After a re-boot, everything appeared where it should and I`m now up and running.

Thanks....

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
When run build release app, whether ipa file can be formed if on local mac?
Because i want to upload ipa file to apple connect use terminal on mac
After you run Build Release using C2 on your mac, the app will install to the connected device automatically AND create a file called "Archive.zip" which can be found in Objects directory of your app. The zip file contains the ipa. I usually unzip to a usb drive then transfer to the mac for upload (I use Transporter). Hope this helps.

Eko Kurniawan Ridwanna

Licensed User
After you run Build Release using C2 on your mac, the app will install to the connected device automatically AND create a file called "Archive.zip" which can be found in Objects directory of your app. The zip file contains the ipa. I usually unzip to a usb drive then transfer to the mac for upload (I use Transporter). Hope this helps.
Thank u soo much. i will try it

Eko Kurniawan Ridwanna

Licensed User
I found an error when uploading with a description "ERROR ITMS-90017: "This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory." please guide
Thanks

Neil Rohan

Licensed User
I found an error when uploading with a description "ERROR ITMS-90017: "This bundle is invalid. The IPA format requires a top-level directory named Payload, containing only a .app bundle and optional plugins in a Plugins directory." please guide
Thanks
A little above my level. Suggest you start a new thread and have the experts weigh in. Good luck.

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
With this function, do we need to use b4i bridge anymore??
And it must be use local mac builder, can not use with hosted builder?

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
With this function, do we need to use b4i bridge anymore??
Not a must, but it is still useful in debug mode and also when working with the designer.

And it must be use local mac builder, can not use with hosted builder?
Your device needs to be physically connected to the Mac, in order to use AC2.

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
wow!!!!!!! I just tried to install an ipa in release mode... and works!!!!! now I can make my friends jealous!!!!:cool:
Great news :)
this is very useful during the app development process, but does this also mean that my friend or colleague (standard non-developer user) who has a Mac and an iPhone can use Apple Configurator 2 to install the .ipa files I send him?

ykucuk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I guess i completed tutorial steps.

When i start release it works on simulator. How can i set up ?

B4X:
B4i Version: 8.00
Parsing code.    (0.46s)
Building folders structure.    (0.20s)
Compiling code.    (0.30s)
Compiling layouts code.    (0.02s)
Building Xcode project.    (0.22s)

icon-store-1024.png is missing from Files\Special. Using default icon.
Preparing project for builder.    (0.85s)
    Project size: 2.40 MB
Sending data to remote compiler.    (6.81s)
    Application compiled with non-store provision profile.
Completed successfully.
App will run on the simulator.
This is a simulator build. Do not submit it to the App Store.

My Configuration

B4i v8
Mac Local Builder
Paralel Desktop VM
Apple M1 Pro Chipset
Ipad Pro 2 Gen
ios 15.6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.51.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.51.49 PM.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 3.49.48 PM.png