Android Tutorial 💡 A simple XUI app transfer from B4A to B4J in under 11 minutes

Hello all,
Here is a quick video to show how simple it can be to transfer your B4A projects to B4J when using XUI. It's been on my mind all days now, so I thought I would give it a go and also record my efforts. This is my first ever attempt at doing anything cross platform like this with XUI, so bare with me...

You may need to hit the cog and select 1080p HD

Enjoy...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great example!
I will move it to the tutorials forum.

One suggestion: don't copy code. It will be impossible to maintain it as you move forward. Implement the code in one or more classes that are referenced from all projects.
More cross platform tips: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/xui2d-cross-platform-tips.96815/#content
Thank you,
Yes you are obviously correct @Erel, classes is the correct way to go. At some point I will add the B4J code to the original post.

I just wanted to know how simple it would be to convert, so I selected an example from last weeks lazy loading tutorials. The answer is yes, it's very simple to convert your XUI developed applications from one OS application to another.

I also want to make some short youtube videos like 10 mins on how to create simple app with B4X ... but always find no time and have too many excuses. 😝

You should just go for it, just a few simple videos would be good for B4X. The one problem with this particular video is that I originally created it as a test for myself, so I did it quite quickly. It was only afterwards I thought to myself that this might make an interesting video for the forum, so I then added the subtitles. If I was originally thinking about making a tutorial video for other to watch, I would have gone a lot slower to allow for more time to read the subtitles or I would have added an audio description track over the top of the video. If I make another video, I will probably go for the latter and go a lot slower.

Red Roses for your sweet one? Happy Valentine's Day. 🌹
Yep, you've got it 👋

Last edited:

Gustsp

Licensed User
Hello all,
Here is a quick video to show how simple it can be to transfer your B4A projects to B4J when using XUI. It's been on my mind all days now, so I thought I would give it a go and also record my efforts. This is my first ever attempt at doing anything cross platform like this with XUI, so bare with me...

You may need to hit the cog and select 1080p HD

Enjoy...
Share code please.🙏

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Share code please.🙏

The code used can be found in the first four posts, actually you will find six code examples, and there are three examples on how to create a Pixabay code (which is what this video is based on) in the forth post in the link below.

Oddly enough you passed the post to get to this one???

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like the tutorial, but two request from me.

I do not have big monitor, so text in the video are illegible (true for Erel's tutorial videos too). Can you make in smaller monitor, or increase monitor pixel size ?
Can you make the reverse video : B4J to B4A in 10 minutes ? This will have most impact on new members, IMHO.

Regards,

Anand

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not have big monitor, so text in the video are illegible (true for Erel's tutorial videos too). Can you make in smaller monitor, or increase monitor pixel size ?
You're actually very lucky as I was going to use my two monitors, but that would have made it really small. The video was recorded using a smaller screen resolution than I actually work with on a daily basis.

Can you make the reverse video : B4J to B4A in 10 minutes ? This will have most impact on new members, IMHO.
It's just the same but in reverse I presume.
I believe that most new members will use B4A more then B4J, I can see where you are coming from but I refer back to my previous answer.

Last edited:

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You're actually very lucky as I was going to use my two monitors, but that would have made it really small. The video was recorded using a smaller screen resolution than I actually work with on a daily basis.

It's just the same but in reverse I presume.
I believe that most new members will use B4A more then B4J, I can see where you are coming from but I refer back to my previous answer.

Ahh..looks like I was unable to explain myself.

This is what I see on my monitor full screen,

Clipboard01.jpg

As Erel once said, "It is still very useful to start with the B4J implementation. The development cycle in B4J is much faster."
I understood that we can now develop using cross platform tools in B4J faster and then convert it to B4A, not only games but any application.

But do not worry about my requests. You already are doing much more good for the community and I appreciate it. Thank you.

Regards,

Anand

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ahh..looks like I was unable to explain myself.
That's okay, you explained yourself perfectly clearly.

If I can find the time to do so, I'll create a reverse video showing the views layout design principles implemented correctly. I'll create a shared class for B4J and B4A and I'll gladly post both code examples to the forum.

The video will be slower and I might narrate as well, depending on my mood and concentration level for that day.

Last edited: