B4J Tutorial ðŸ’¡ CID (Caller ID) - View incoming call details using your COM port modem

Hello All,
After looking on the forum and finding basically nothing regarding using B4J for CID (Caller ID) via home or basic business phone lines, I took out my V.92 USB modem and created this simple tutorial for B4J developers to learn from.

Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx1024m -Xms1024m -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit
Waiting for debugger to connect...
Program started.
AT#CID=1
OK
RING
DATE=0404
TIME=0921
NMBR=07931XXXXXX
NMBR=07931XXXXXX actually displayed my full mobile phone number, I crossed out the last 6 digits with X's for obvious reasons.

Libraries needed:
1586058275207.png

B4X:
Sub Process_Globals
    Private BC As ByteConverter
    Private COMPort As Serial
    Private AStream As AsyncStreams
End Sub

Sub AppStart (Args() As String)
    InitializeModem
    StartMessageLoop
End Sub

'Return true to allow the default exceptions handler to handle the uncaught exception.
Sub Application_Error (Error As Exception, StackTrace As String) As Boolean
    Return True
End Sub

Sub InitializeModem
    Try
        COMPort.Initialize(Null)
        COMPort.Open("COM3")
        COMPort.SetParams(COMPort.BAUDRATE_9600, COMPort.DATABITS_8, COMPort.STOPBITS_1, COMPort.PARITY_NONE)

AStream.Initialize(COMPort.GetInputStream, COMPort.GetOutputStream, "AStream")
        AStream.Write(BC.StringToBytes($"AT#CID=1${Chr(10)}${Chr(13)}"$, "UTF-8"))
    Catch
        Log(LastException.Message)
    End Try
End Sub

Sub AStream_NewData (Buffer() As Byte)
    Log(BytesToString(Buffer, 0, Buffer.Length, "UTF-8"))
End Sub
You should use Regex.Split in 'Sub AStream_NewData' to separate the received data into individual DATE, TIME and NMBR strings.

My V.92 USB modem looks something like this, it cost about £7.
s-l300.jpg

I tested initializing my V.92 USB modem for CID with AT codes AT#CID=1 and AT#CID=2, they worked flawlessly. According to my VS code, the following AT codes can be used to initialize CID depending on the modem hardware you are using.

//AT#CID=1
//AT#CID=2
//AT+VCID=1
//AT+VCID=2
//AT%CCID=1
//AT%CCID=2
//AT#CLS=8#CID=1
//AT#CC1
//AT*ID1

To test if your modem supports CID, you could first try sending AT#CID=1 through terminal software to your modem, software like Windows Terminal will suffice. Hopefully when you send the AT command you will receive the response OK, if you receive the response FAIL then just move onto the next AT command above. If you have gone through all the AT commands and all the responses were FAIL, then sadly your modem probably does not support CID.

Enjoy...

Last edited: