Android Question Using Nominatim as a reverse geocoder, we all know that google api will start billing your queries

jose luis gudino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi.
it is possible to do something similar to this function that I send in the following link
https://developer.mapquest.com/documentation/searchahead-sdk/android/v1.3/
Using Nominatim as a reverse geocoder, we all know that google api will start billing your queries.

Search Ahead is a spatially-aware predictive search engine most commonly used to implement 'type ahead' or autocomplete-like functionality within an application, to provide a list of suggestions to the user that refreshes as the user is typing
will return address, administrative area (city, state, postal code), airport, category, franchise, and POI suggestions based on just a few characters.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
we all know that google api will start billing your queries.
They also provide free requests.

Away from that:
- What make you think MapQuest is totally free?
It is not. They are charging too
https://developer.mapquest.com/plans
- I dont think that you can use GoogleMaps and then use MapQuest for Geoqueries. I guess it is not allowed. You need to use MapQuest-Maps too (it is also not free)...

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have my Nominatim server and it works perfect.
i see. Sounds great. So a VPS should be OK to run your own... Nice. Thank you for pointing me into. Though i do not need one. But good to know ;-)

In this case one needs to write a wrapper for the SDK which you can use with your own server if i understand correctly?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I´m a bit lost on setting up using the description you posted.

"Paket postgresql-server-dev-9.3 could not be found" i got when trying to run the apt-get command ;-/

Also the 3rd one can not be found. i´m not sure what linux is running on my vps honestly :D I´m not a Linux pro...

To bad; would have liked to try if i got it working

Upvote 0

jose luis gudino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Remember that manuals for ubuntu may also have changed the version number of the library,
remember that those instructions were for 2017. you have to find the most current versions.

It is a great tool and above all the best thing is that it is free to get directions. This is fundamental

Upvote 0