B4R Tutorial Reading Date, Time, and Temperature from a DS3231 RTC module (I2C) using any 2 digital configured pins from an Arduino

Cracked it - can connect the DS3231 to any 2 digital pins of my Nano and read the date, time, and temperature by making use of the B4A core library only. All control of the SDA (data) and SCL (clock) lines are hard coded. So, don't have to connect it to the traditional I2C pins and don't have to use a DS3231 or the Wire library.

By no means perfect and no error checking incorporated - just wanted to see if I could "hard code" a read from the DS3231 by making use of any 2 digital configured pins. In the attached sample I am using pins 10 (data) and 11 (clock) of my Nano to communicate with the DS3231 RTC module (I2C is traditionally pins A4 and A5 on the Nano)

It was a bit tricky to figure it out - especially reading from the DS3231 as it involves a start, a write, then a repeated start, a write, and then a read process.

Along with this project (combining them) one should be able to set time and date of the DS3231 and then also read time, date, and temperature from the DS3231 using any 2 digital pins.

read.png

B4X:
#Region Project Attributes
    #AutoFlushLogs: True
    #CheckArrayBounds: True
    #StackBufferSize: 300
#End Region

Sub Process_Globals
    'These global variables will be declared once when the application starts.
    'Public variables can be accessed from all modules.
    Public Serial1 As Serial
    Dim pclk, pdat As Pin
    'comment out the below two lines and un-comment the following two line to use for eg pins 10 (data) and 11 (clock)
'    Dim pdatNo As Byte = pdat.A4                  'pin A4 on the Nano is the default pin for the I2C data line
'    Dim pclkNo As Byte = pclk.A5                  'pin A5 on the Nano is the default pin for the I2C clock line

Dim pdatNo As Byte = 10                       'with the code below any digital pin can be used as the data pin - the I2C comms is hard coded and not tied to a specific pin
    Dim pclkNo As Byte = 11                       'with the code below any digital pin can be used as the clock pin - the I2C comms is hard coded and not tied to a specific pin

Dim weekday()As String = Array As String("Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday")
    Dim t As Timer

End Sub

Private Sub AppStart
    Serial1.Initialize(115200)
    Log("AppStart")
    t.Initialize("t_tick", 1000)

pclk.Initialize(pclkNo, pclk.MODE_OUTPUT)
    pdat.Initialize(pdatNo, pdat.MODE_OUTPUT)

pclk.DigitalWrite(True)                          'put both lines in idle mode (i.e both lines high)
    pdat.DigitalWrite(True)
    Delay(100)                                       'give the lines some time to settle to the new states

Delay(100)

t.Enabled = True

End Sub

Sub t_tick

Dim myminutes As Byte = 0
    myminutes = GetMinutes               'get the minutes - 0.....59

Dim myhours As Byte = 0
    myhours = GetHours                   'get the hours - 0.....23

Dim myseconds As Byte = 0
    myseconds = GetSeconds               'get the seconds - 0.....59

Dim myyear As Byte = 0               'get the year - 0.....99
    myyear = GetYear

Dim mymonth As Byte = 0              'get the month - 1....12
    mymonth = GetMonth

Dim myday As Byte = 0                'get the day of the month - 1.....31
    myday = GetDay

Dim mydow As Byte = 0                'get the day of the week - 1....7 (see array weekday() above)
    mydow = GetDayOfWeek

Dim mytemperatureInt As Byte = 0     'get the integer part of the temperature - degrees C
    mytemperatureInt = GetTemperatureInt

Dim mytemperatureFrac As Byte = 0     'get the fraction part of the temperature - degrees C (resulotion is 0.25 degrees C)
    mytemperatureFrac = GetTemperatureFrac

Dim finaltemperature As Float = mytemperatureInt + (mytemperatureFrac/100)
    Log("Time = ", NumberFormat(myhours, 2,0), ":", _
                   NumberFormat(myminutes, 2,0), ":", _
                   NumberFormat(myseconds, 2,0), "  ", _
                   NumberFormat(myyear, 2,0), "/", _
                   NumberFormat(mymonth, 2,0), "/", _
                   NumberFormat(myday, 2,0), " ", weekday(mydow-1), " Temperature = ", _
                   NumberFormat(finaltemperature, 2,2), " degrees C")

End Sub

Sub GetMinutes() As Byte

setStartCondition                                   'create a START condition for the DS3231 - the data line needs to go from high to low while the clock is high
    clockInDS3231Address(0xD0)                          'send the DS3231 I2C address out on the I2C bus
    checkAckFromDS3231                                  'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after address has been sent on the bus
    Dim register As Byte = 0x01                         'address of the register that holds the MINUTES data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the MINUTES (0....59)
    checkAckFromDS3231                                  'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after 8 bits have been sent to it
    setStartCondition
    clockInDS3231Address(0xD1)
    checkAckFromDS3231
    Dim myvalue As Byte = getValue                      'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after 8 bits have been sent to it
    setStopCondition                                    'generate STOP condition for the DS3231
    Dim min10, min1 As Byte = 0
    min10 = Bit.And(myvalue, 0xf0)
    min10 = Bit.ShiftRight(min10, 4)
    min10 = min10 * 10
    min1 = Bit.And(myvalue, 0x0f)
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetHours() As Byte

setStartCondition                                   'create a START condition for the DS3231 - the data line needs to go from high to low while the clock is high
    clockInDS3231Address(0xD0)                          'send the DS3231 I2C address out on the I2C bus
    checkAckFromDS3231                                  'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after address has been sent on the bus
    Dim register As Byte = 0x02                         'address of the register that holds the HOURS data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the HOURS (0....23)
    checkAckFromDS3231                                  'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after 8 bits have been sent to it
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    Dim myvalue As Byte = getValue                      'check if the DS3231 is sending back and ACK after 8 bits have been sent to it
    setStopCondition                                    'generate STOP condition for the DS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetSeconds() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x00                         'address of the register that holds the SECONDS data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the SECONDS (0....59)
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetYear() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x06                         'address of the register that holds the YEAR data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the YEAR (0....99)
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetMonth() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x05                         'address of the register that holds the MONTH data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the MONTH (1....12)
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetDay() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x04                         'address of the register that holds the DAY OF MONTH data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the DAY OF MONTH (1....7)
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetDayOfWeek() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x03                         'address of the register that holds the DAY OF WEEK data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the DAY OF WEEK (0....59)
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetTemperatureInt() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x11                         'address of the register that holds the INTEGER OF TEMPERATURE data in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the INTEGER OF TEMPERATURE
    setStartCondition
    checkAckFromDS3231
    min10 = min10 * 10
    myvalue = min10 + min1
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub GetTemperatureFrac() As Byte

Dim register As Byte = 0x12                         'address of the register that holds the FRACTION of the TEMPERATURE in the DS3231
    selectRegister(register)                            'tell the DS3231 we want to work with the register that holds the FRACTION OF THE TEMPERATURE
    setStartCondition                                   'we need to set a new start condition in order to read the register that we have written to above
    checkAckFromDS3231
    myvalue = Bit.ShiftRight(myvalue,6)
    If myvalue = 0 Then
        myvalue = 0
    else if myvalue = 1 Then
        myvalue = 25
    else if myvalue = 2 Then
        myvalue = 50
    else if myvalue = 3 Then
        myvalue = 75         
    End If
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub getValue() As Byte

Dim myvalue As Byte = 0
    pdat.Initialize(pdatNo, pdat.MODE_INPUT)           'check for the ACK coming from the DS3231 - the line should be pulled low by the DS3231
    DelayMicroseconds(2)

For i = 0 To 7
        pclk.DigitalWrite(True)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        Dim  pinstate As Boolean = pdat.DigitalRead
        If pinstate = True Then
            myvalue = Bit.Or(myvalue, 1)
        Else
            myvalue = Bit.Or(myvalue, 0)
        End If
        If i < 7 Then
            myvalue = Bit.ShiftLeft(myvalue,1)
        End If 
'        Log("data = ", pdat.DigitalRead)
        pclk.DigitalWrite(False)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
    Next
'    Log("myvalue = ", myvalue)
    pdat.Initialize(pdatNo, pdat.MODE_OUTPUT)          'We need to send a NACK (i.e not acknowledge)
    pdat.DigitalWrite(True)                            'take the data line high
    pclk.DigitalWrite(True)                            'take the clock high
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pclk.DigitalWrite(False)                           'take the clock low               
    Return myvalue

End Sub

Sub selectRegister(register As Byte)

For i = 0 To 7
        If Bit.And(register, 128) = 128 Then
            pdat.DigitalWrite(True)
        Else
            pdat.DigitalWrite(False)
        End If
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        pclk.DigitalWrite(True)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        pclk.DigitalWrite(False)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        register = Bit.ShiftLeft(register, 1)
    Next

End Sub

Sub setStopCondition

pdat.DigitalWrite(False)            'generate a stop condition - the data line must go from low to high while the clock is high
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pclk.DigitalWrite(True)
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pdat.DigitalWrite(True)
    DelayMicroseconds(2)

End Sub

Sub setStartCondition

pdat.DigitalWrite(True)            'set a start condition i.e the data line must go from high to low while the clock is high
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pclk.DigitalWrite(True)         
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pdat.DigitalWrite(False)
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pclk.DigitalWrite(False)
    DelayMicroseconds(2)

End Sub

Sub clockInDS3231Address(address As Byte)

'    Dim address As Byte = 0xD0               'address  (7 bits) plus 8th bit added as LSB to indicate to the DS3231 that we want to write to it (address is 0x68 left shift 1 = 0xD0 to incliude the WRITE bit)
    For i = 0 To 7
        If Bit.And(address, 128) = 128 Then  'is the bit a 1?
            pdat.DigitalWrite(True)
        Else
            pdat.DigitalWrite(False)
        End If
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        pclk.DigitalWrite(True)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        pclk.DigitalWrite(False)
        DelayMicroseconds(2)
        address = Bit.ShiftLeft(address, 1)   'shift the address byte 1 bit to the left for the next Bit.And operation
    Next

End Sub

Sub checkAckFromDS3231

pdat.Initialize(pdatNo, pdat.MODE_INPUT)           'check for the ACK coming from the DS3231 - the line should be pulled low by the DS3231
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
    pclk.DigitalWrite(True)                            'we need to generate a 9th clock for every byte to read the ACK from the DS3231 - take the clock high
    DelayMicroseconds(2)
'    Log("pdat mode 1 = ", pdat.DigitalRead)            'check id the DS3231 has pulled the data line low
    pclk.DigitalWrite(False)                           'take the clock low

pdat.Initialize(pdatNo, pdat.MODE_OUTPUT)          'put the data pin back into output mode
    pdat.DigitalWrite(True)                            'take the data line back to high i.e normal idle mode

End Sub

Attachments

• b4rReadDS3231manually.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 494
  • datasheet.pdf
    297.8 KB · Views: 522
Last edited: