B4J Question B4J on Linux Ubuntu 18

ljgww

Hi!

I am trying to make b4j (latest version 8.x) working on my Ubuntu 18.04. I never used/installed b4j before so I am completely newbee here.

I have already seen some posts on the subject and tried various scenarios but I am hitting a wall:

1. i have installed standard wine ubuntu offers which is: wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
2. it looks to me that .net framework shall be installed in order to run installer (and possibly ide later) - but it is unclear to me which version shall be installed. Some hints stiplate mono installation but it is unclear why.
3. it looks to me that some form of Java shall be installed (to compile/run build target) - but is unclear which java to use since under wine javas are too old and under ubuntu javas are more recent. Additionally I assume it shall be JDK not JRE variant. Unclear is if system java shall be ok (e.g. v11 or v12 or some of openjdk versions)
4. another doubt is running 64 or 32bit version of wine for IDE

- ruled out that app works with mono (esentially not under wine) - maybe I am wrong with this
- would be nice to know if this can be run under 'dotnet' (dot net core? possibly not yet)

The wall is - after managing to install using b4j.exe and enabling app in wine config I get the window that says: it cannot run with this version (seems to be referring to wine version).

Tried to install winehq - some version larger than 4 (currently this is wine 5) but I run into the problem of not being able to install wine.

As I have seen examples of running b4j under ubuntu, i believe it is doable.
I also assume that b4j IDE takes basic source and generates java application that is run later (possibly even without wine?)

Hints or some guiding is welcome.

MicroDrie

Licensed User
Technically you simulate Windows on Ubuntu and it should be possible to follow the normal installation procedure if the installation conditions are met and there is an Internet connection. Normally an installation program chooses the correct version itself. Only Wine is an emulator and an emulator is no guarantee of success. If you encounter installation problems, while you meet the installation conditions and follow the normal installation procedure, well ... then it could also be that the Wine emulator is the cause of your problems. In that case you need help from Ubunto gurus

The use of Wine causes you to weaken the security measures of Linux. An alternative solution is installation on a Virtual Machine (VM). A VM is also a better security choice.

Upvote 0

ljgww

Technically you simulate Windows on Ubuntu and it should be possible to follow the normal installation procedure if the installation conditions are met and there is an Internet connection. Normally an installation program chooses the correct version itself. Only Wine is an emulator and an emulator is no guarantee of success. If you encounter installation problems, while you meet the installation conditions and follow the normal installation procedure, well ... then it could also be that the Wine emulator is the cause of your problems. In that case you need help from Ubunto gurus

The use of Wine causes you to weaken the security measures of Linux. An alternative solution is installation on a Virtual Machine (VM). A VM is also a better security choice.

Thank you for suggestion on virtual machine. Currently I cannot excercize this option (due limited resources on my PC) but, I will surely look into that when I get a new PC. Would you know if ReactOS would be an option (when talking about VM's). In the meantime I will use proper windows box.

I managed to run the installation procedure - seems successfully (looks like installed). IDE running is which gives me a problem.

Is there some log mechanism in B4J that can be looked into to detect what is problem with the versioning?

Upvote 0

MicroDrie

Licensed User
When the IDE comes up, it appears that the installation was successful. But without a problem mentioning nobody can help you. The following applies to learn: There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. After an initial installation, you have to point a few things to the disk locations on which certain software is installed. You can do a search for IDE or IDE error in this forum to find a lot of educational information that may resolve your error.

Regarding the choice of a particular VM, I would say look for what you yourself can find the best help and explanation for at your own knowledge level. I think that both below and above your knowledge level is ultimately annoying. Even more important is what do you expect to do in the future and is that possible in the VM to be chosen?

Upvote 0