Wish Some stuff for working with large databases

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was looking at this post: xListView and it made me think of a couple of things.
Some of work with larger database sets. We use combo boxes that can easily contain 40 - 60000 items. The nice thing about these is you start typing and it automatically jumps to the the first item that fits the text types. This would be really useful.

The other thing is, again with large data sets, cursors in Java/android seem to be always forward only. In some ways this is nice. You roll through the recordset and then close the cursor - not holding things open. The problem is that we frequently need to make decisions based on looking at ALL the records and then update certain records or display certain information based on what we find. It would be really nice to have something that would RAPIDLY put 60-100000 records in to an array that could then be searched and filtered.

Thanks
Kim

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Right after I wrote this I stumbled across B4XTable. I will have to give it a try. Might be just what I am looking for,

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was looking at this post: xListView and it made me think of a couple of things.
Some of work with larger database sets. We use combo boxes that can easily contain 40 - 60000 items. The nice thing about these is you start typing and it automatically jumps to the the first item that fits the text types. This would be really useful.

The other thing is, again with large data sets, cursors in Java/android seem to be always forward only. In some ways this is nice. You roll through the recordset and then close the cursor - not holding things open. The problem is that we frequently need to make decisions based on looking at ALL the records and then update certain records or display certain information based on what we find. It would be really nice to have something that would RAPIDLY put 60-100000 records in to an array that could then be searched and filtered.
You are confusing different things.
xListView is a UI element. There is never a good reason to directly add 60,000 items to a UI list. It will not help the user in any way.
A Map can easily manage 60,000 items. If you need to search or filter it then use a SQLite database. It can be an in-memory database as with B4XTable.