iOS Question Make Bridge App - Unable to connect to builder2.b4x.com

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been asked to modify a mature app running on a number of iPhone 4 devices. I have not used my iPhone 4 test device for some time although it remains nominated in my current .mobileprovision.

When I try to install the bridge app (32bit debug architecture checked) I get as far as tapping the big round button on the web page at which point I get a dialog "Cannot connect to builder2.b4x.com". The link https://builder2.b4x.com:51042/test works as expected. I deleted and reinstalled the B4I ca.pem and tried both hosted builders but with no joy.

Anyone seen this before?

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
The device concerned is an iPhone 4 Model MC603B/A running iOS 7.1.2 This appears to be the latest version available. At http://builder2.b4x.com:51041/xxxxxx the page loads showing the download button but clicking brings up the "Cannot connect to builder2.b4x.com" dialogue.

I have deleted the bridge from my iPhone 6 Model MG4H2B/A running the latest iOS 12.4.6. Repeating the same B4i Bridge installation was completely normal.

Upvote 0

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have also tried loading the app to the iPhone 4 via the OTA deployer which is generally very reliable.....

It fails. At first it attempts to open the itms-services in the App Store, when you decline the correct action resumes but... "Unable to Download App - 'My App' could not be installed at this time". A blank icon remains on the desktop labelled 'Installing' with a continuous loop back to the previous dialogue.

Upvote 0

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry I think our comments crossed Erel...

So effectively this iPhone model can no longer be supported for development with B4X. I don't think the client will be very happy!

Upvote 0

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

That is all understood and is the situation as I suspected. To be fair I warned the client of this possibility some time ago but he chose to save his money rather than future-proof this element of his operation.

It might be as well for developers to remember.... because we get asked about this stuff by clients...... There is much in favour in choosing the Apple platform for a particular purpose. That seemingly attractive choice also comes with the risks associated with the absence of backward compatibility and the knowledge that what you are purchasing is a platform that will one day be rendered obsolete by the manufacturer himself.

Upvote 0