Android Question Promo Code - Require Billing Lib ?

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Has anyone got any Paid Android apps that they made using B4A on Google Play?

If so, have you tried to generate a promo code lately using the Google Play Console (using the new developer console) ?

When I create a promo code (Paid app Promo code, not in-app or subscription) it come up saying: "Make sure that you’ve integrated your app with the Google Play Billing library."

I then try and redeem the code but it shows an error and doesn't let me redeem the code. (created a new Google account for testing, so it doesn't use my developer account)

My app has no in-app purchases or subscriptions, and only a one off payment to download the app from Google Play.

Does this mean I now need to add the billing lib even if I don't plan to use in-app purchases or subscriptions if I want to give out promo codes for the customer to download the app without having to pay for it ?

I rolled back to the older developer console and generated a promo code and it doesn't say "Make sure that you've integrated..." message, and when I redeem the code it works.

I am wondering if this is happening for others as well, or if it's a bug in the new Google Play developer console ?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Has anyone got any Paid Android apps that they made using B4A on Google Play?
There are many paid apps in Google Play made with B4A. You can go though the "share your creations" list to find some of them.

I then try and redeem the code but it shows an error
Which error?

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Which error?

When I generate the promo code using the new Google Play Developer console it shows the message "Make sure that you’ve integrated your app with the Google Play Billing library". This only happens with the new Play Console when I generate the promo code. (using the old Play Console it doesn't show this message).

1603616090129.png

When I try and redeem the code it comes up with the error: "That code didn't work. Try again. If the code is for a specific app, redeem it in that app."

1603615753812.png

Upvote 0

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Promo codes are explained here: https://developer.android.com/google/play/billing/promo

They should be used in apps that offer in app purchases.
It states you can create paid app promo codes or in-app / subscription promo codes. So a one off app purchase (not an in-app purchase or subscription) should work as well like the old console.

After looking into this in more detail, from what I can see it looks like the time/date that is selected in the new Play Console is based on the timezone GMT +0 and this is most likely why the promo code didn't work. It looks like the time/date wasn't in the timeframe I selected since the time schedule wasn't active yet due it to being GMT+0 and not my actual timezone.

I now noticed on the service overview screen, it shows 'Scheduled' rather than 'Live', and this is most likely why my promo code didn't work.

In the old console you used to be able to select the timezone but looks like in the new console you can't select the timezone and I thought the times are in my timezone, I guess they are not in my timezone since this morning the promo codes I created yesterday are now showing as live rather than scheduled.

1603663639797.png

Upvote 0