Play Store report on ANR - Reports freezes

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Recently, bug reports on my app have rocketed, while I am trying to figure out many of them, this one in particular I have no clue about.
It is an ANR report and I see no reference to my app! Maybe it is an Http Timout on a slow device?

User message: No puedo entrar a la aplicación. = I cannot enter the application.

B4X:
DALVIK THREADS:
"[email protected]@45aa52d0" daemon prio=5 tid=7 WAIT
  | group="main" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x45a8fc40 self=0x23bf38
  | sysTid=20436 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=908624
  | schedstat=( 213623 4669189 3 )
  at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
  - waiting on <0x45a874a8> (a java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue)
  at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:326)
  at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:107)
  at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:80)
  at org.apache.http.impl.conn.tsccm.RefQueueWorker.run(RefQueueWorker.java:102)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1096)

"Thread-9" prio=5 tid=1 VMWAIT
  | group="main" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x45ad4a50 self=0xce28
  | sysTid=20358 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=-1345017744
  | schedstat=( 3517669653 3369018565 5685 )
  at dalvik.system.NativeStart.run(Native Method)

"Binder Thread #2" prio=5 tid=6 NATIVE
  | group="main" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x459e22a0 self=0x11d818
  | sysTid=20363 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=1182776
  | schedstat=( 100677492 36682127 450 )

"Binder Thread #1" prio=5 tid=5 NATIVE
  | group="main" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x459e15f0 self=0x11dca8
  | sysTid=20362 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=1236336
  | schedstat=( 100524890 36834723 453 )

"Compiler" daemon prio=5 tid=4 VMWAIT
  | group="system" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x459db2a0 self=0x11def8
  | sysTid=20361 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=1239312
  | schedstat=( 634307854 565948501 2466 )

"Signal Catcher" daemon prio=5 tid=3 RUNNABLE
  | group="system" sCount=0 dsCount=0 obj=0x459db1e8 self=0x118738
  | sysTid=20360 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=1257328
  | schedstat=( 3814697 4058838 4 )

"HeapWorker" daemon prio=5 tid=2 VMWAIT
  | group="system" sCount=1 dsCount=0 obj=0x43c92ce0 self=0x120a48
  | sysTid=20359 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=default handle=1204616
  | schedstat=( 82153324 41931148 62 )

Honestly, I have no clue, it doesnt seem as if there is enough information.

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been seeing more of those for my apps as well. On the plus side, I've managed to eliminate almost all errors that I've seen in the reports since my very first release of the app unto the cruel world that is the Android Market!

I'm pretty sure I posted a similar crash a short while back and Erel basically came to the same conclusion I had come to: It doesn't really point to a problem in the app. Not saying it is or isn't a problem in the app, just that the report is lacking any useful information.

Would be nice to resolve though. I hope it isn't a B4A issue. I get the impression that it is a device issue, unfortunately we are rarely blessed with those kind of specifics. :)

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The annoying part is the play store doesnt report any device info! Device, OS, etc...I mean its pretty much essential from my point of view...they seriously need to upgrade the dev console

Good to hear you cleared all your reports! So you are error free? Did the 1-star ninjas trouble you too much :p
Is there a way to delete or remove old reports?

I have the same impression as you, looks like a laggy, slow or overloaded device in which the Http response is too slow, or it is low on memory and paging out activities. Either way I can only guess.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah, it boggles my mind why the report would not contain device info. Seems rather important and potentially helpful! I did notice in the console that they are testing a new version of it. I signed up for the beta but then a couple days later it prompted me to sign up again but now it says it is full, so I don't know if I'll get to preview it or not.

Yes, I've had several errors since the initial release of my first app but all I see anymore are the one mentioned here and the issue where the device can't return the app's internal or cache folder. I'll try to prevent a force close in my next update but that one isn't really my fault so it doesn't bother me too much.

I've had my share of 1 star reviews but most are from people who don't read my app's requirements. It requires networked satellite equipment of a specific brand but some people just can't seem to read. :D

Almost forgot: yes, you can mark an error as old. I do this with errors I believe to have fixed. That way it is easier to see at a glance whether or not any errors that come up are new or old. The only old ones I have been seeing are from people still running older versions of my apps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
The device info is up to the user to provide, if I'm not mistaken, when you want to send a report there's an option to include device info you can answer no to that.

That's the impression I have as well. I don't know why Google doesn't just include it though. It's not exactly an invasion of privacy. At least then you might be able to see a pattern.

What I find frustrating is that here you have someone who was kind enough to bother submitting the crash report but at the same time they rarely provide any useful information. "Keeps crashing", "Not working", "gfjhsagflgrehts". Even more frustrating is that I have no way of contacting them so I can never get more info and have them test stuff. I very rarely receive an actual email about a problem (thus allowing two-way communication) so when I do I thank them endlessly. :D

Oh well, it is what it is. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Almost forgot: yes, you can mark an error as old. I do this with errors I believe to have fixed. That way it is easier to see at a glance whether or not any errors that come up are new or old. The only old ones I have been seeing are from people still running older versions of my apps.
I'll see about this. It looks like errors are categorized by exception. So for e.g. all NullPointerExceptions are marked as new or old? I will have to see as time goes on.

The device info is up to the user to provide, if I'm not mistaken, when you want to send a report there's an option to include device info you can answer no to that.
I guess everyone is answering no to that for my reports. Well so far the reports have been useful. I think I have fixed all of them, except for this one, and one more unreported crash :p

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll see about this. It looks like errors are categorized by exception. So for e.g. all NullPointerExceptions are marked as new or old? I will have to see as time goes on.

As best I can tell, it is based on the source of the exception rather than the type of exception. See my attached screenshot which shows errors that are still marked as new and others I have marked as old.

At the top of the list are the "new" NPE errors due to the device failing to return DirInternal. Below that you can see all of the "old" errors, including the old NPE error that was due to the device failing to return DirInternalCache. I had fixed that problem only to have DirInternal fail on some devices too, which I hadn't checked for. :mad:

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Kevin, now I see.
All of mine were in URI.create
btw...I'm wondering if you so many error reports, how many downloads will you have? :D

And that was page one of two. I guess it stands to reason that the more downloads you get, the more crash reports you will get as well. :D

That was from one of my main apps (and completely free). Current stats are:

656,857 total user installs
55,858 active device installs

Initially I was disappointed with the poor active to total ratio, but that was when I began to notice that people with smart phones are not always smart. Rather than read the requirements first, they tend to install first then read later. :D Most then find out that my app will never work for the equipment or lack thereof that they own.

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy with the active installs number. Another reason for the whacky ratio is partly my fault: While it is true that many people have installed it without reading the description and requirements, I accidentally dangled the proverbial carrot in front of them by not preventing the app from being available in countries where it would never work.

Eventually I discovered my newbie error and corrected the problem after making that mistake with an add-on app. It got very popular in India (why, I don't know) and I got bombarded by bad ratings and emails I could barely comprehend.

Live and learn! :D

Upvote 0