Is there a simpler way??

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tend to make things more complicated than they really are but would like someone to look at the following code and tell me if there would have been a better and easier way. The code works. Here's the problem:

If the decimal after a value is = or greater than .5 then I want to use "floor" with the next statement or "round" if it is less. The result will be the same number but that's what I want it to be.

B4X:
   Dim part1,part2
   Dim brgdms As String 'so main.bearingdms can be converted to string
   If Main.dblBearingdms >= 0 Then
   brgdms=Main.dblbearingdms  'convert to a string
   brgdms=brgdms.Replace(".",",") ' replace the decimal in the number with a comma so it can be parsed
   If brgdms.IndexOf (",")>0 Then  'verify the value has a decimal. Assume it has
   parts=Regex.Split(",",brgdms)  'parse it
   part1=parts(0) 'value in front of decimal
   part2=parts(1)  'value behind decimal
   End If
   x= part2.IndexOf("5")  'find the index of the number 5 if present..it must be the first digit after the decimal to fit the requirement for flooring
    If x=0 Then
   deg=Floor(Main.dblbearingdms)
   Else
   deg=Round(Main.dblbearingdms)
   End If
   End If

Thanks,
Jim S.

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Perhaps something like
If yournumber*10 mod 10 >=5 then newnumber=floor(yournumber) else newnumber=round(yournumber)

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand exactly what you want to but B4A has two functions:
Floor and Ceil.
Floor(4.6) = 4
Ceil(4.6) = 5
Floor(-4.6) = -5
Ceil(-4.6) = -4

I think you could work with these two functions directly on the number to achieve what you want.

Best regards.

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand exactly what you want to but B4A has two functions:
Floor and Ceil.
Floor(4.6) = 4
Ceil(4.6) = 5
Floor(-4.6) = -5
Ceil(-4.6) = -4

I think you could work with these two functions directly on the number to achieve what you want.

Best regards.

Klaus is right. Anyway, flooring a decimal>=0.5 will return its int part, while rounding a decimal<0.5 will return the same, thus floor() will give the correct answer in both cases.

Upvote 0

MLDev

Licensed User
Longtime User
From your description and your code I think this is what you want:

B4X:
If Main.dblBearingdms >= 0 Then
deg=Floor(Main.dblbearingdms)
End If

Are you sure that code works the way you want? If the decimal part is .6 or greater it'll round up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to all for your input. Further checking on my part reveals my explanation of the problem was not clear but your responses have made me re-think the issue, during which I have uncovered other items that must be handled. There are several variables (not the programming kind) not addressed in the code but hopefully I can resolve them. If not, I will post back. Thanks again.

Jim S.

Upvote 0