Other Quiz #6 - What is standing behind the BBM app notification icon?

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Trying to give other people a chance :p

They are using a foreground service. Since they have their own servers they are most probably polling after a certain interval, or maybe they are keeping a keep alive connection.

I guess GCM is a sticky service, so something like that will help them, maybe a Blackberry Push Service.

Upvote 0

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would agree with a foreground service in order to keep the service / process live all the time in order to poll new messages.

Some sort of push service would get rid IF it is possible, I've not played with services a great deal and never done anything push.

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
No need for a foreground service since it's surely polling. You just need a startserviceat. Gcm would be an answer as well, true. Actually I use both ways.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
You are correct. This icon is a result of creating a foreground service (Service.StartForeground).

A "lighter" solution which is less disturbing for the user is to use a sticky service: Creating a sticky service - long running background tasks

The advantage of GCM (Google push framework) is that it is a single connection shared by any app that wants to receive a push notification. The process doesn't need to be running to receive a push notification with GCM.

Upvote 0