Android Question BeagleBone Black

engvidal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel and all developers

I would like to use B4A to develop apps to run in a "BeagleBoard Black" running android 4.2.2.

This way I can access I/O ports, PWM, serial, ..., without external hardware (say IOIO).

I think it is a cheap and great tool to develop IoT devices ! !

Is there anyone intereste in begin a new topic or group ?

Thanks

Vidal

whcir

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Vidal,

Did some reading on beaglebone black because I too am looking for an android development board to use with B4A and be able to use the IO ports. From my understanding the BBB will run android, but there is only 2 meg of nand memory so android has to be run from an SD card which the BBB requires a button to be pressed at boot time every time it loads the android OS. I could have misunderstood the information I read. The cubie board looks very good as a android board, but there needs to be a library designed to access the IO ports and that is way over my head. As I have posted before, I would be willing to contribute some $$$ to anyone who would be willing to take on the task of creating a library. What do you think?

Rick

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If this board runs Android then you can use Basic4android to develop apps for it.
How are these ports accessed from Java?

I would be careful with such an answer...

The sony smartwatch for ex. is running android too. But you cannot install any software on it...

Upvote 0

engvidal

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all.

Really the android must be in a SD card, but there is a way to replace the angstron linux with ubuntu for BBB, and this ubuntu distro looks for a bootable card at each reset, then you do no need to press the button.

http://www.armhf.com/index.php/boards/beaglebone-black/

I think in a near future they will make a board with more flash, and then the android will run inside it. I am planning to buy a board, but I am not sure how can I use the bridge to load my android app. This is my question !

Upvote 0