Android Question Turn on GPS

Devv

Licensed User
Longtime User
This will only work if the settings widget was added. If this is relevant for you then I can help you write this code.

You mean the notification drawer widget that comes with Samsung devices ?
sgsiiibirghtness.jpg

if you could write a library that could enable GPS on devices that uses this widget without user interaction that will be great ...

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the relevant code:
B4X:
Sub TurnGPSOn
   Dim i As Intent
   i.Initialize("", "3")
   i.SetComponent("com.android.settings/.widget.SettingsAppWidgetProvider")
   i.AddCategory("android.intent.category.ALTERNATIVE")
   Dim p As Phone
   p.SendBroadcastIntent(i)
End Sub
It doesn't work on Android 4.4. You will see a message in the unfiltered logs about a permission problem.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This has always been a problem.
If the user chooses NOT to turn on GPS, or I cannot force it on, then the data I collect is invalid - since US government rules demand lat/lon values with each record created.

Enabling GPS makes it available for all apps (I assume) - even the ones your kids don't want enabled for tracking them.
I think, as developers, we need an APP ONLY permission - where we need access to GPS. All other apps would have to ask, demand, register the same permission. Google would have to figure that one out...

The only alternative now, if GPS isn't enabled, is to close the app, or keep demanding that GPS be enabled... Both options stall data collection.

Upvote 0

Devv

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is the relevant code:
B4X:
Sub TurnGPSOn
   Dim i As Intent
   i.Initialize("", "3")
   i.SetComponent("com.android.settings/.widget.SettingsAppWidgetProvider")
   i.AddCategory("android.intent.category.ALTERNATIVE")
   Dim p As Phone
   p.SendBroadcastIntent(i)
End Sub
It doesn't work on Android 4.4. You will see a message in the unfiltered logs about a permission problem.

i tried this on samsung grand and s3 both less than 4.4 without any success

Upvote 0