Android Question Keystore is lost

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I realize without the original keystore file, you can't update the app. I have a paid app with missing keystore and want my existing customers not have to repurchase it again. What alternative do I have?

Thanks in advance

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would advise you to keep looking further for the keystore. You can try doing a system restore to a point where you know you had the keystore. Or try software like Data Rescue by Prosoft Engineering to try to recover it.

Do you have many paid users?

Upvote 0

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would advise you to keep looking further for the keystore. You can try doing a system restore to a point where you know you had the keystore. Or try software like Data Rescue by Prosoft Engineering to try to recover it.

Do you have many paid users?
The keystore is in my laptop which is missing.

I have 10K users with my paid app. I was wondering if users are allowed to download a Beta with Google Play Console for free? I never tried or read about it.

Upvote 0

JonPM

Licensed User
Longtime User
You never made a single backup of it? That's the very first thing you should do when creating a keystore. I have mine on dropbox, google drive, a USB drive, and emailed to myself.

It's kinda hard to give advice without knowing the type of app. Two options that I can think of:

1. Unpublish the current app. Republish it with a new keystore and be prepared to handle many unhappy user emails (in which you'll need to ask them to buy the new version which you will issue a refund immediately).

2. Re-brand the app as a version 2.0 with many enhancements, publish 2.0 and tell users it's a different app.

Upvote 0

Scantech

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks,

I like your advice.

I had it backed up on a USB drive but it was in the carrier bag with the laptop.:eek: I even lost 5 of 6 source code apps. :mad: Luckly, the main paid app source code was at my email. I emailed a copy to myself.:)

Now, I have 2 USB drive hidden separately of course, Microsoft onedrive, Google drive backups for my source and keystore. I learned from my stupid mistake.

Upvote 0