Android Question Advertising Video inside apps: how?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have downloaded only a few apps.

Scrabble has ads videos which do not force you to watch them completely. I mean, you can close them immediately.

Ruzzle's videos lets you exit after a fixed number of seconds.

Also, an our friend needs to show "rewarded videos".

I've searched on site, of course, but I would like a complete tutorial about these questions (or answers here).

BTW I would like to develop a multiplayer client-server game, similar to Scrabble, by myself...
That game was developed by about 40 people, 13 developers for clients, 3 for server(s ?), 2 graphic designers and other. :confused::D:(

Thank you

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is your question?

Video ads can be a skippable or non-skippable or rewarded ads. Ad networks pay you more for non-skippable ads (but the users may hate it).
Ad networks used to pay for rewarded ads by CPI, it means you only earn money if the users intall new app after they watch rewarded ads.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What is your question?
What are all the steps to be performed, from the beginning; from registration of the app on Google, the necessary accounts (for all I know, for Rewarded Videos you've also need a Merchant Account in addition to Developer Account).
The settings to choose for each video type (skippable or not, rewarded).
How to recognize if the user has skipped the video (how to intercept keys) to know if you should reward the user or not.

Ad networks used to pay for rewarded ads by CPI, it means you only earn money if the users intall new app after they watch rewarded ads.
Again for all I know, Rewarded Videos (or shoud I write "Rewarded Interstitials"? Are they the same thing?) allow you to reward users who watch the video with objects such as coins, lifes, etc.

As I wrote, to create Scrabble about 40 people were necessary, so I doubt that the Software House gains only if users "click" on banners/videos.
Another question could be: Scrabble's videos were 3 (I played a few minutes): Lavazza, Vogue and Air France; how to get these important brands? EA, which developed Scrabble, may have contacted these companies directly? Or it has chosen a particular Ad network (and how)?

There are many questions, I have many questions. So a complete tutorial would be helpful.

Thank you for your answer, susu.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another question: why (how) a user was able to gain money without having a "Google Merchant Account" using banners only? Paid directly the Ad network? And if so, holds Google 30% anyway (and how)?

Many many questions, a lot of confusion on my mind, about these topics :D

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
What are all the steps to be performed, from the beginning;

You need to register an account with an ad network you like to work with. Remember, not only Admob but also many ad networks overthere, such as StartApp, MobiCore, Applovin, Leadbolt, Inmobi...

How to recognize if the user has skipped the video (how to intercept keys) to know if you should reward the user or not.

You use ad network's SDK and they provide method to show ads, events to know when the ads end, to know when users watch it completely or not.

Again for all I know, Rewarded Videos (or shoud I write "Rewarded Interstitials"? Are they the same thing?)

Interstitial ads are full page ads, it can be text/image/video/interactive ads, you earn money when users click on it or when you show a large number of it. Rewarded ads are interstitial ads (again, it can be text/image/video/interactive ads), when the users finish "a mission" (watch video / download app / finish a poll...) you give them award (coin / life / blood) and you earn money from ad network.

Scrabble's videos were 3 (I played a few minutes): Lavazza, Vogue and Air France; how to get these important brands? EA, which developed Scrabble, may have contacted these companies directly? Or it has chosen a particular Ad network (and how)?

They can use their "internal framework" to choose which ad will be shown. But I belive more that they used mediation ad network. Mediation ad network sends ad requests to multiple ad networks and find the highest paid network to fill ad slots. There're many mediation networks such as MoPub, AdtoApp, Appodeal and AdMob too.

If you want to use mediation ad network, I recommend to try Appodeal (they provide B4A wrapper) or MoPub with Johnmcenroy's wrapper here.

why (how) a user was able to gain money without having a "Google Merchant Account" using banners only? Paid directly the Ad network? And if so, holds Google 30% anyway (and how)

You don't need to have a Google Merchant Account to be paid by ad networks. They used to pay through PayPal, check, bank account or Western Union (AdMob). And depends on each ad network, you need to earn a number of money before they can pay you ($50 for StartApp, $100 for AdMob...)

PS.1: My suggestion, instead of just sitting here and ask many questions, why don't you register an account and try by yourself? Of course, it's free and it's really fun when you see the money rise (even just a few cents).

PS.2: Please pay me $100 for consultancy fee.

PS.3: I'm just kidding, good luck! :D

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
First of all, thank you for your great explanation, susu.

You need to register an account with an ad network you like to work with. Remember, not only Admob
Is AdMob just an ad network like others? I read it is a "platform" which provides you some other services.

You use ad network's SDK
...which often is a jar file, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, to use their SDK, you need a b4a wrapper, right? (or sometimes you can add the jar file but then you should "communicate" with it in someway, to call routines and "get" events).

Interstitial ads are full page ads, it can be text/image/video/interactive ads, you earn money when users click on it or when you show a large number of it. Rewarded ads are interstitial ads (again, it can be text/image/video/interactive ads), when the users finish "a mission" (watch video / download app / finish a poll...) you give them award (coin / life / blood) and you earn money from ad network.
This is what WAS (thank you again, susu) the most confused argument.

They can use their "internal framework" to choose which ad will be shown
Do you mean they contact directly those companies (Lavazza, etc)?

I still don't understand the questions payment, 30%, VAT.

If I use "directly" (SDK) an ad network, it should pay me: then how Google can add its 30%? How can Google know my revenues, in this case?
And VAT?
Also, if I use a "mediation network"... well, I stop here, too many questions :)

PS.1: My suggestion, instead of just sitting here and ask many questions, why don't you register an account and try by yourself? Of course, it's free and it's really fun when you see the money rise (even just a few cents).
Because I want to avoid to publish a "stupid app" just to give it a try (also my bank needs to provide the new IBAN to me).

PS.2: Please pay me $100 for consultancy fee.
This is a good idea. If Erel and other members (including me) ask for money for each answer on this website, he would no longer need to improve B4X products, he would already be very rich (he is already rich, I think, LOL).

Thank you, susu

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is AdMob just an ad network like others? I read it is a "platform" which provides you some other services.

Yes, they can call it platform because beside ad network they provide some analyze tools to.

which often is a jar file, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, to use their SDK, you need a b4a wrapper, right? (or sometimes you can add the jar file but then you should "communicate" with it in someway, to call routines and "get" events).

Yes, they provide native Android SDK and you need to write a wrapper to use it. But many ad networks did it for you already. Just download their SDK and wrapper, you will use it just like other libraries.

Do you mean they contact directly those companies (Lavazza, etc)?
I think it's possible. If you're a big game company like Zynga, Rovio or Supercell, I think many ad networks will more than welcome you to use their network.

If I use "directly" (SDK) an ad network, it should pay me: then how Google can adds its 30%? How can Google know my revenues, in this case?
And VAT?

I think you confused about revenue by using ads and merchant account. Google only charge you 30% when you sell app or in-app item on Google Play Store. They did not charge you anything if you publish your app for free (with or without ads). If you add ads, the ad networks will pay you and Google will have nothing to do with that. Please note, AdMob is a company of Google Inc. but all other ad networks are not.

Because I want to avoid to publish a "stupid app" just to give it a try
Nothing is stupid here. Rovio made more than 30 games before they made the big hit Angry Birds. We can't fly to the moon if we think "flying is stupid" (of course, we fly with rocket not wings).

English is not my native language so please forgive me if I wrote something wrong. Thanks.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you confused about revenue by using ads and merchant account. Google only charge you 30% when you sell app or in-app item on Google Play Store. They did not charge you anything if you publish your app for free (with or without ads). If you add ads, the ad networks will pay you and Google will have nothing to do with that. Please note, AdMob is a company of Google Inc. but all other ad networks are not.
I was not confused (although I'm always confused :p) but I thought that Google was holding the percentage even on app with advertising.

English is not my native language so please forgive me if I wrote something wrong
It's not my native language too, but you know it better :)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, @susu

Upvote 0

An Schi

Licensed User
I think it's possible. If you're a big game company like Zynga, Rovio or Supercell, I think many ad networks will more than welcome you to use their networko

My guess is that the exchange of user data kicks in at that point. Big companies with millions of downloads can provide millions of userdata with all the unneeded permissions they add. With that data ads can be very targeted and so they are more expansive.

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
My guess is that the exchange of user data kicks in at that point. Big companies with millions of downloads can provide millions of userdata with all the unneeded permissions they add. With that data ads can be very targeted and so they are more expansive.

Sure, ad networks, Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft... All of them want and did mine user data already.

Upvote 0