iOS Question [solved] A bit confused about resize and variants

igodese

Licensed User
Hi all. I'm a bit confused about screenshot resize and variants. At this moment, I have just one variant in my designer: 1136x600 (my target device is an iPhone5).

I asked how to obtain screenshots for all devices and resolutions and received this answer:
You can use this tool, created by Ilan, to create the screenshots: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4i-screenshots-resizer.46911/#content

I downloaded the tool (easy and very useful) and tried to get all the screenshots. Okay, but...
If I have a square button at 1136x600 resolution, it becomes a rectangle in 1334x750, 'cause the 1136x600 has a x/y factor of 1.8933 (periodic) and 1334x750 has 1.77866 (periodic).

Now, the question is:
are the resized screenshots the exact image of my App (tailored for 1136x600) running on different resolution devices ?

If it's true:
is just one variant, in my designer, enough to publish on Apple Store, accepting that any view will be "distorted" depending upon the device running the App ?

If I create new variants in my designer, moving and rearranging the views in order to have square buttons at any resolution, it's evident that I can't use the Resize-tool from Ilan 'cause a simple resize wouldn't match the new arrangement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

igodese

Licensed User
Oops.
Thank you.

I was on Apple Tech Specs page for the iPhone 5 on the Internet ( https://support.apple.com/kb/SP655?locale=en_US ) , looking for screen size and resolution and I found: 4" Retina display ; 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi

Similarly, I looked on other iPhone pages for screen sizes and resolutions and I found:

iPhone 3GS (at this moment, no more present on Apple site) = 3.5" / 480 x 320
iPhone 4 and 4S = 3.5" / 960 x 640
iPhone 5 , 5S and SE = 4" / 1136 x 640
iPhone 6 = 4.7" / 1334 x 750
iPhone 6+ = 5.5" / 1920 x 1080

Now, when I take a screenshot from a running App on my iPhone5, I get a png file with dimensions 1136 x 640, that's the resolution of the screen.

On Apple sites, I haven't found informations about "normalized layout" and "scale factor" ; can you provide a link to a table with such informations ?

Also, using the program B4i-Resizer, found on this forum, I got some strange resolutions, converting my original 1136x640 screenshots.

The resulting images have this format:

3.5" -> 960 x 600 (note: 600, not 640)
4" -> 1136 x 600 (note: 600, not 640)
4.7" -> 1334 x 750
5.5" -> 2208 x 1242 (expected: 1920 x 1080)

ipad -> 1024 x 768 (not checked on Apple site)
iPadPro -> 2732 x 2048 (not checked on Apple site)

Would you, please, help me to understand what is true and what false ?
Those strange values are driving me mad...

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
On Apple sites, I haven't found informations about "normalized layout" and "scale factor" ; can you provide a link to a table with such informations ?
Scaling is more relevant in Android as it is hidden from the developer in iOS.
You can see the reported width and height with this code:
B4X:
Log(GetDeviceLayoutValues.Width & " x " & GetDeviceLayoutValues.Height)
Log("Non normalized scale (which is mostly not important): " & GetDeviceLayoutValues.NonnormalizedScale)
The non normalized scale will be 2. Which means that there are 160 * 2 dots per inch. Practically from a developer point of view your device is 320x568 (scale = 1). This is equivalent to 640x1136 (scale = 2).

Use the default variant. There is no need to change it.

I'm not sure which results you get with the resizer. I don't remember encountering any issue when I uploaded the images to iTunes connect.

Upvote 0

igodese

Licensed User
Use the default variant. There is no need to change it.
Thank you, that's an exhaustive information.

I'm not sure which results you get with the resizer. I don't remember encountering any issue when I uploaded the images to iTunes connect.
I used the program giving as input a screenshot taken with power+home buttons. The original is 1136 x 640, the converted images (in "converted" folder) have the size I posted in post #3. Anyway, I usually use the good old (also free) PaintShop Pro4, that has resize feature and PNG transparency remove option.
Obviously, the B4iResizer is faster and easier, but I can't understand why the results have sizes different from the expected ones.
May be I shall post a question on the author's main thread.

Thank you for your support, Erel.

Upvote 0