Wish minimum b4a version on compiled libs

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

i have really small knowledge in Java but i still want to contribute more on this forum so i make libs with b4x language and compile them with b4x. the problem is that when i have the latest b4a version installed (and i do) the lib that i compile will be depended on this b4a version.

even if it can run on a much lower b4a version.

in microsoft excel you have an option to choose the minimum excel version to be compatible with when you save your file. i think b4a should also have that option so when you compile a lib with b4a 6.8 but you dont use any 3rd party libs only the core lib then it should run also on a smaller version of b4a.

there is also another problem. if i compile a lib with b4a 5 and people use them but after 1 year i make a small modification in this lib with a newer version then people will not be able to use it on their b4a version until they update it.

so is there any way to make a compiled lib run on the smallest b4a version it can run and not on the b4a version it was compiled?

thank you, ilan

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can have multiple installations of B4A.
But seeing the issue with your lib and the reason for this thread i can aggree that it may be irritating...

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can have multiple installations of B4A.

i dont think this should be the right solution. i would prefer b4a would store all core libs somewhere in a hidden folder and use the MINIMUM version that is needed when compiled.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
so is there any way to make a compiled lib run on the smallest b4a version it can run and not on the b4a version it was compiled?
No. The minimum version that it can run is the current version as this is the core library the IDE uses.

You can release the source code together with the library if you want to support older version.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can release the source code together with the library if you want to support older version.

:D have not thought about this.

i think its a great idea this will also allow others to improve the lib but it will also expose my bad coding style :confused:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User