Wish Good jdbc solution for MSSQL

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the jdbc driver working beautifully in b4j, connecting directly to my MS SQL database. Why is this not available in b4A?

Many of us are working strictly with a LAN and have no need for the additional layers or configuration issues required in the solutions provided. I for one have been nixed from doing Android apps because of the extra configuration issues involved in all of the MS SQL solutions currently provided.

I realize the configuration of a java server (which I have working), or the .net script solutions my SEEM simple, but not when you are supporting hundreds of separate clients each with their own server that needs configuring (and support). Stuff happens, servers go down, scripts get lost, nobody remembers what the config file is when they move their data to a new server instance, etc.

Additionally, the current solutions as you mention are not secure unless you write specific queries, but our app changes frequently and so do the queries. It would be impossible to run around to hundreds of client servers and update the server scripts every time our app changes. The app itself is designed to update automatically and the queries and PWs are in the app.

Our clients are small businesses and most are not sophisticated with their IT - AT ALL.

I cannot use B4A until I have a solution that allows me to just set the connect string in my app when things change and have it work.

Thanks

PS: Would it be possible to wrapper jtds-1.3.1.jar and have it work the way it works in B4j? I have no idea how to do this but I might be willing to learn and spend some time on this if it is possible.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Additionally, the current solutions as you mention are not secure unless you write specific queries, but our app changes frequently and so do the queries.
A solution based on RDC will always be more secure than a solution that directly connects to the database.

You can try to use jSQL with B4A. It will probably work (assuming that the jdbc driver is compatible with Android).

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
A solution based on RDC will always be more secure than a solution that directly connects to the database.

You can try to use jSQL with B4A. It will probably work (assuming that the jdbc driver is compatible with Android).

IT WORKS!!! I am a happy man!
Not fully tested but I can connect and ExecQuery returned a valid cursor with data and I am able to write records.

You guys are awesome!