B4J Tutorial [ABMaterial] Speed preview in 3.81!

ABMaterial has always been one of the fastest RADs from its start, now over 2 years ago. And this dispite being a very big library. But with 3.81 (4.0?), we'll take it to a whole new level!

Mindful and I have spend 5 days (and nights) checking out how we could cache ABMaterial to the extreme, without losing any of its functionality. The results are just ridiculous. Let me show you the difference of the new Cache 3.0 system in ABMaterial.

For demonstration purposes, I've limited my bandwidth to 3G. On cable, the 'Finish' times where 1.15s for the first load, 432ms on second load, so even there the gain is significant.

Note that this is a rather heavy page. Next to loading the core libraries, it has a chronology component, pictures, a table control, buttons, labels, text etc...

First load:

cache1.png

Next load(s):

cache2.png

As you can see the WebApp has almost nothing to download on the 'next' loads (834kb <-> 40kb). Finish times are less than 10% of the time. So on 3G, on the users next visit(s), the WebApp is almost just as fast as on high speed cable!

And this not only works with the same page. Once one page has been loaded, all the other pages can take gain of this system. Or even when the user revisits your app. This is because a huge chunk of Kb comes from the core js/css/fonts and stay cached.

Moreover, if you use a CDN it is quite possible a user has already downloaded and cached most of it and gets the cached finish times immediately. The next release will have a CDN for donators to use with over 750 points of preference worldwide serving the ABMaterial core libs, including China.

And the best part? You will need to make a 2 minute change to your existing WebApps to upgrade to Cache 3.0. ;)

I'm now testing the whole system extensively on our own inhouse WebApps to make 100% sure you do not get any surprises. So far all goes well and they are blistering fast!

Again, big thanks to Mindful for taking the time to dive into this matter with me!

Note: due to this big improvement, it is possible I will make this version 4.0 instead of 3.81. So time to come up with the final animal name starting with a 'D' :). Dragonfly has been suggested some times, but let your creativity flow...

Alwaysbusy

Last edited:

liulifeng77

Licensed User
Longtime User
The next release will have a CDN for donators to use with over 750 points of preference worldwide serving the ABMaterial core libs, including China.

that's nice!