Android Question Where has StartForeground gone?

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm trying to use Service.StartForeground() to launch a service, instead of making it a sticky service.

However I can't for the life of me figure out the syntax. There doesn't seem to be any autocomplete option for StartForeground, or Service.StartForeground.

Have I gone mad, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been doing that for the last 30 minutes and have no luck figuring out why my IDE won't let me type it in :-(

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
We are talking about the same thing:
1: Arf searches forums to try find out why he can't type Service.StartForeground(Comms_Service) into has IDE to start a foregroud service.
2: Arf finds many results, all suggesting that Service.StartForeground is the syntax to use
3: Arf tries to type this in, but autocomplete makes it impossible
4: Arf asks for help, and gets sent back to repeat step 1
Loop

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
right, so I just tried typing Service.StartForeground inside a Service module, and autocomplete allows me to do so.
So the problem must be that there is different (or no) syntax for starting a foreground service from inside an Activity.
I guess it's impossible to do so, so I'll just give up rather than risk asking the question.

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1- Arf should be a little more specific when explaining a problem.
2- Arf spent 30 minutes going in circles because reason #1
3- Arf should ask/post a bug report if AutoComplete didn't work.

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone other than NJDude know if it is possible to start a foreground service from within an activity module?

Upvote 0

Arf

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I got it.
Service.StartForeground is a command that can be used from inside Service_Create, to make that service be a foreground service.
You cannot Start a service as a foreground service from another module. Except maybe from within a different Service Module.

Upvote 0

cengolo

Licensed User
Longtime User
whatever i do, service does not start if the phone is sleeping (if the user has closed the screen by pressing the power button). any help will be appreciated.
i develop an alarm application. for example, say alarm is set to 15:15. if phone is awake (even if the app is closed or paused) alarm fires. but if the phone is sleeping, it does not. if i wake the phone by pressing power button, alarm fires, even if the time is 15:17 for example. how can i set the service to start at the given time, wake the phone, play the alarm and display the app?

Upvote 0