B4J Question [SOLVED]ExecNonQuery2 Error ?

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys,

I have this code
B4X:
    InsQry.ExecNonQuery2("insert into t_in_ot1 (id,id_trs_typ,id_cst_sppl,trs_dt,dscp,inp_by) values(?,?,?,?,?,?)", _
                Array As Object(IdInOt1,42,459,"11/30/2017","this is a test","abc"))

Raised an error "illegal Argument exception"

Change the codes to this
B4X:
Private Str As StringBuilder
Str.Initialize

IdCnt = 459
Dt = "11/30/2017"
InpBy = "abc"
Str.Append("insert into t_in_ot1 (id,id_trs_typ,id_cst_sppl,trs_dt,dscp,inp_by) ")
Str.Append("values(" & IdInOt1 & ",42," & IdCnt & ",'" & Dt & "','This is a test','" & InpBy & "')" )
Log(Str)

InsQry.ExecNonQuery(Str)

Runs OK.

Where did I go wrong?

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
That was the full err mesage, only 1 line.

It was running from a jar file.

I will try to run via B4J IDE, to find out if there are any others err message.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, i have run the jar via command line, and that is the only error message appeared.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What database backend are you using?
Just for kicks, try this (i'm just adding single quotes around your date. I'm just guessing here since I don't know the database backend):

B4X:
InsQry.ExecNonQuery2("insert into t_in_ot1 (id,id_trs_typ,id_cst_sppl,trs_dt,dscp,inp_by) values(?,?,?,?,?,?)", _
                Array As Object(IdInOt1,42,459,"'11/30/2017'","this is a test","abc"))

Update: Reason for my guess (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/date-and-time-literals.html)

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
What database backend are you using?
Just for kicks, try this (i'm just adding single quotes around your date. I'm just guessing here since I don't know the database backend):

B4X:
                Array As Object(IdInOt1,42,459,"'11/30/2017'","this is a test","abc"))

Update: Reason for my guess (https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/date-and-time-literals.html)
No avail, I am using Firebird Database.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here are the complete error log

java.sql.SQLException: An SQLException was provoked by the following failure: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at com.mchange.v2.sql.SqlUtils.toSQLException(SqlUtils.java:118)
at com.mchange.v2.sql.SqlUtils.toSQLException(SqlUtils.java:77)
at com.mchange.v2.sql.SqlUtils.toSQLException(SqlUtils.java:74)
at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewPooledConnection.handleThrowable(NewPooledConnection.java:505)
at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyPreparedStatement.setObject(NewProxyPreparedStatement.java:892)
at anywheresoftware.b4j.objects.SQL.ExecNonQuery2(SQL.java:198)
at b4j.example.main._button1_action(main.java:74)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA.raiseEvent2(BA.java:90)
at anywheresoftware.b4a.BA$1.run(BA.java:215)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$173(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$174(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$null$148(WinApplication.java:191)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at java.sql.Date.valueOf(Date.java:143)
at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.field.FBDateField.setString(FBDateField.java:72)
at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.field.FBField.setObject(FBField.java:661)
at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.AbstractPreparedStatement.setObject(AbstractPreparedStatement.java:393)
at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.NewProxyPreparedStatement.setObject(NewProxyPreparedStatement.java:878)
... 15 more

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Have you tried entering the date as 2017/11/30 in your example code as there's lots of discussions re java.sql.Date.valueOf not accepting dates
in format other than yyyy/mm/dd.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just for testing purposes, remove the date column from your insert statement.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have tried that & it was a success.

Seem that ExecnonQuery2 unable to handle date field.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tried change date format to : 2017-11-30 and it was a success.

Seem that ExecnonQuery2 for date field need sqlite date format & luckily it was also accepted by Firebird database.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seem that ExecnonQuery2 unable to handle date field.
Just for clarification, ExecNonQuery2 just uses JDBC's setObject method to pass values to the prepared statement (see https://github.com/AnywhereSoftware...rc/anywheresoftware/b4j/objects/SQL.java#L198) instead of the finer grained set methods that include the type in the name (https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/sql/PreparedStatement.html). So in ExecnonQuery2, the type of variable used (int, long, string, etc.) determines what finer grained method the setObject method uses. In your case, since you are passing a string, setObject uses setString instead of setDate. It is then up to the JDBC driver implementation on how to handle this in case of dates. Each JDBC may implement this a little different (so what works here for Firebird may or may not work for another JDBC driver). So, some experimenting will be necessary (as you did in your case).

PS: Even if the SQL implementation of B4A/J would expose the setDate method, it would really not help much unless the implementation also provides for a Date object and a Calendar object (see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/do...setDate-int-java.sql.Date-java.util.Calendar-) and any appropriate methods to set/get them.

Upvote 0

incendio

Licensed User
Longtime User
On ExecnonQuery, I think the value "11/30/17" pass as String to JDBC driver and app runs OK.

But on ExecnonQuery2, not sure pass as what type, I think with ExecnonQuery2, B4J tried to converts it as a date which will fail.

Upvote 0