B4J Question Is there a thread that compares standard html components to alternatives in the AbMaterial Framework

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
A lot of this is overwhelming. Is there a reference page that compares standard components to Abmaterial alternatives?

For example, something that shows us a standard text box or text area or label or combobox, alongside the definitions for some of the Abmaterial replacements?

I know it’s lazy, but I’d prefer have something simple to play with and figure out partly by trial and error; rather than trying to understand the entire framework before doing anything.

Am I thinking about this the wrong way, or misunderstanding the intent of AbMaterial?

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi @magi6162 ,
IMHO you missed the ABMaterial's point. It is not intented for someone already proficient in PHP+JS+HTML+CSS but for those that understand and use B4x and would like to design even complex web-based solutions.
I am currently not using it, but I read each day any thread/post about it just to keep myself updated.

udg

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
have something simple to play with
Use the sample projects in the ABM download ( ABM - Feedback, Demo, Template, Help, etc. ). That is how I started to learn.
Granted - ABM is different, but once you grasp the basics - you will be a pro in less time.
Also, Use the tutorials (and questions and answers) posted by many.

Essentially, you will need to grasp these:
1) Main Module. AppStart ( init your pages, add to app and start the server (which port to use?)
2) ABMApplication. ( this is basically setup, but you can modify later if the need arises ie. login)
3) ABMShared (code) module. (build your menu (links to pages) and helper methods)
4) ABMPage class(es). This is your GUI into your app. One to many pages as you like...
Note the required methods of each page.
Understand the grid system (12 cells). This is used in every BuildPage.
Understand BuildPage
Understand ConnectPage
Know how to build and call modal sheets.
Know how to use ABMTables (for listed records in a table grid).
The rest of the page contents are methods you create to react to (click) events.

Of course there is more... but the rest comes easy when you understand the basics.

Thanks

Upvote 0

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Magic\udg\Harris,

Sorry that I didn't respond yet, but I was waiting for the notification to show up as an email. Maybe I forgot to flag email notifications.

Yeah, I've been through the big Abmaterial sample, and found it too complex to extract meaning about individual components and the parent forms. I was just looking for some thread or reference that compares the HTML markup for a simple form with a few standard components ; to the B4J code for an Abmaterial form with functionally analogous components.

It sounds like the answer is no.

Thanks for helping to clarify this, much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
reference that compares the HTML markup
There isn't any HTML markup... or anything else from the old style of creating web apps that we as developers are exposed to.
That is the beauty, charm and strength of ABM. I can't even spell Javascrap correctly - or even wanting to code with it...

As with all things new, there is a learning curve. In this "I want it now" world, sometimes we must relax and enjoy the process of teaching ourselves something foreign - like a new language.

Thanks

Upvote 0

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
There isn't any HTML markup... or anything else from the old style of creating web apps that we as developers are exposed to.
That is the beauty, charm and strength of ABM. I can't even spell Javascrap correctly - or even wanting to code with it...

As with all things new, there is a learning curve. In this "I want it now" world, sometimes we must relax and enjoy the process of teaching ourselves something foreign - like a new language.

Thanks

Roger on having to put in the time. Unfortunately, my brain doesn't learn that way. It's not a matter of wanting it now, I certainly don't mind if something takes a year for me, while it takes months for someone else. The important thing is having somewhere to start that makes sense to our individual learning styles ; and having some simple and moderately complex samples to learn from, largely by trial and error.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As stated previously:
Also, Use the tutorials (and questions and answers) posted by many. Looks like you have found some... and on your way.
All this talk will be for not - soon. For a pro like you, it shall come easy. There definitely is a method to the (perceived) madness.
Just look at all of us who praise ABM. It is a pure delight.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
my experience:
I started using ABMaterial about 20 days ago and now I have almost completed the porting and restyling of a site that in its time with HTML, JS and PHP I had used about 6 months and it was also very bad (even if functional).

precise that I started from scratch (and you can see from the post);)
And how do feel about ABM now - 20 short days later?

Upvote 0

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
As stated previously:
Also, Use the tutorials (and questions and answers) posted by many. Looks like you have found some... and on your way.
All this talk will be for not - soon. For a pro like you, it shall come easy. There definitely is a method to the (perceived) madness.
Just look at all of us who praise ABM. It is a pure delight.

Harris, I'm sorry. I know you're trying to help. But "Read the tutorials" is easy to say. But I've seen some of the threads and tutorials, and until noticing Mashiane's postings, they don't work for me. I was looking for a specific type thread or tutorial, rather than a general 'just read everything' advice that boils down to what seems to work for everyone else.

Sorry. This advice works for a lot of people, but not for my learning style and particular needs.

Upvote 0

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
From the ABMaterial demos, there is a note that indicates that the framework is based on the Materialize css. It has however evolved from that now, but perhaps for your understanding and learning style, perhaps take a look at that, http://materializecss.com/ , if it will still be relevant for you @B4JExplorer

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My 2 cents...

One cannot compare ABMATERIAL controls with "normal" html ones...
The main keyword here is "Material"!
The ABMATERIAL framework uses the Google Material Design guidelines, and in some cases even extends those guidelines.
ABMATERIAL is container aware, meaning that if the size of the viewing window changes, ABMATERIAL automatically changes the GUI to adapt.
In html, you would have to code that behaviour yourself, and only that endeavour could take months!
I am not a pro Dev, and I learned coding mainly in a "I need to accomplish this" manner.
With ABMATERIAL I faced a completely new challenge... How to take advantage of such a "complex" framework to create a simple webapp... So, I started withe the demo... and just deleted stuff away until I broke the code...
This way I was able to understand some of the "not so obvious" connections in the code...
This was how I figured out the importance of ABMShared module... For a week I struggled to simply figure how to create my own side menu...
You seem to learn a bit like me...
Taking a simple code that works and figure out why and how it works.
The best suggestion I have to you is, ask for concrete examples in the forum... We are always ready to help... (To help, not to do it for you!).
Take the demo a part! Delete everything you think you don't need for you particular quest, and if the code breaks, the you will know that what you deleted was needed!
I am about to start a medium sized project based on ABMaterial and I was considering maybe to post simple "how to's"...

Upvote 0

B4JExplorer

Licensed User
Longtime User
The only thing I ever wanted, was to understand how to code analogs of things like Text Boxes, Text Areas, Checkboxes, Buttons, background images, listboxes, etc. I just wanted to get some html forms together.

Until Harris started publishing his tutorials, this was unclear.

I also started with the ABMaterial demos, and it was largely wasted time. I also tried with 'simple code', and it never worked; it always broke.

I'm now able to experiment with Abmaterial-based pages, and it's only because Harris took the time to explain things, step-by-step.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The only thing I ever wanted, was to understand how to code analogs of things like Text Boxes, Text Areas, Checkboxes, Buttons, background images, listboxes, etc. I just wanted to get some html forms together.

Until Harris started publishing his tutorials, this was unclear.

I also started with the ABMaterial demos, and it was largely wasted time. I also tried with 'simple code', and it never worked; it always broke.

I'm now able to experiment with Abmaterial-based pages, and it's only because Harris took the time to explain things, step-by-step.
Well, you need to consider that ABMATERIAL is a huge project, what AB gives us is only the visible part of that huge iceberg. He also has a day job, so it's not that simple to keep pushing forward the framework, provide feedback and answering questions in the forum, and then find time to write tutos...
This is where we, the proficient ABMATERIAL (I'm not in the we... Yet!) need to pitch in!

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Harris, I'm sorry. I know you're trying to help. But "Read the tutorials" is easy to say.
Sorry. This advice works for a lot of people, but not for my learning style and particular needs.

It was this response that inspired me to start the dummies project (or more precicely - shut up and put up). I knew how difficult and frustrating it was to get started in ABM - but I also knew I had to learn this because I had tried the other avenues - and failed miserably. With ABM and B4J, it is still hard to comprehend that this is at all possible (and very easy when you understand how).

This is where we, the proficient ABMATERIAL (I'm not in the we... Yet!) need to pitch in!
For sure... Small (or large) well documented examples of one or two particular aspects. I shall link these into the dummies so all help / examples can be found in one place - rather than endless searching with little return.
And perhaps, AB could start and maintain a post that is [ABMaterial] - Training, tutorials, examples, snippets (linking all relevant posts) and ask Erel to make it sticky.

As promised, more lessons to follow soon...

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0