Bug? B4A designer memory issues

laguilar

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've constantly have to save my designer changes, otherwise at random the entire UI locks up, the B4A.exe process memory usage starts to increase to over 600MB, and I am forced to end task B4A, when I come back, all my changes are lost. My UI's are not overly complex either, the last one that froze on me had 2 panels, 2 buttons, and 4 labels. The designer UI is horribly unstable. Please fix. I've lost hours of work already because of this.

laguilar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel, the steps you mentioned in that link seem to have fixed the issue as far as I can tell. I've been using b4a v7.80 when this happened, and strangely enough I'm not using any custom views on the layout I was working with.

What are the pros/cons to the DesignerForceNoVirtualization = True?

Also, you mentioned a bug in the .NET framework, is there a specific hotfix that addresses this that I can make sure to install next time I encounter it?

To Peter Simpson: I hope you don't think I was bashing the b4a product, though when I looked back at the post I did come off kind of harsh, it was a very frustrating moment. We've developed several great products using b4a over the course of 5+ years now, and I absolutely love the product! I've had no issues up until those UI lock ups.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This issue has nothing to do with custom views. It is a bug in .Net Framework related to the virtualization of tree views. It doesn't happen on most computers.
The links to the bug reports are available here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/16934406/971547
However they no longer work.

Try to update .Net Framework to the latest version.

What are the pros/cons to the DesignerForceNoVirtualization = True?
Pro: IDE doesn't freeze on computers that suffer from this .Net bug.
Con: The designer will be a bit slower.