Android Question Unable to start the SDK Manager in b4A 8.00

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I am a new user of b4A 8.00.
I am unable to start the SDK Manager in b4A 8.00. No message comes on the screen and the System Unit's HDD lights flicker continuously (probably the PC is carrying out some long search operation). I am using a Core 2 duo with 4 GB RAM.

Ps. help.

Thanks

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you accidently block the SDK manager via windows firewall? Does it show anything (list of components) or nothing at all?

I assume you followed the installation instructions step by step. Whats the path of the sdk-manager?

Mine

B4X:
C:\Android-SDK\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

Upvote 0

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you accidently block the SDK manager via windows firewall? Does it show anything (list of components) or nothing at all?

I assume you followed the installation instructions step by step. Whats the path of the sdk-manager?

Mine

B4X:
C:\Android-SDK\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat
Hi,

I don't have an entry of sdkmanager.bat in my c:\Android-SDK\tools\bin\ folder ... I recently bought b4a 8.00 version and installed it over the earlier b4A 7.30 which I had. Hope I don't have to install it again ? I have checked that the b4ASDKManger is there in the C:\Program Files\Anywhere Software\Basic4android folder..Do I need to move it to the C:\Android-SDK\tools\bin\ folder ? . ..I want to execute it for setting up Firebase components. as per Erel's tutorial.. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, let's clean it up (to be sure that there are no old fragments). Create a fresh new folder under C: and name it like I've written. Then just follow the installation guide (= install the sdk under that new folder). Don't worry as it is just some MB's.

Start B4A and change the sdk-manager to the bat in the NEW folder and click update. After that everything will be downloaded properly.

Upvote 0

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, let's clean it up (to be sure that there are no old fragments). Create a fresh new folder under C: and name it like I've written. Then just follow the installation guide (= install the sdk under that new folder). Don't worry as it is just some MB's.

Start B4A and change the sdk-manager to the bat in the NEW folder and click update. After that everything will be downloaded properly.

Hi,

Sorry if I am sounding too basic.

i) First of all I am not having a
sdkmanager.bat batch file in my PC.. .. What entry should be made in this batch file ?

ii) Do you want me to install the complete SDK ? It took me 2-3 days to download everything ... I have been using this for more than 2 years now ... I used the same SDK for trial version of b4A 7.xx before buying the same.. b4A 8.00 picked my SDK path automatically...

....Or you want me to uninstall the b4A 8.00 and reinstall it again..will this solve the issue ?

..Thanks.....

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Beelze, you really need to read the installation documentation (yes, it has changed): https://www.b4x.com/b4a.html

Ok, do not touch anything! Now I describe every single step:

1. Create a new folder under c: called Adroid-SDK
2. Dowload Android SDK command line tools https://dl.google.com/android/repository/sdk-tools-windows-3859397.zip and unzip it. Inside it there's a folder "tools". Copy it to the new folder C:\Android-SDK
3. Open B4A
4. Open the SDK manager
5. The bat file is under: C:\Android-SDK\tools\bin\sdkmanager.bat

3.JPG

6. Download all recommended items
7. done

2.JPG

Path's

1.JPG

Upvote 0

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi KMantle,

Thanks a lot ! You have explained everything in detail...However, since I will have to start all over again (at my area with poor net connection - the images take a lot of time to download), I plan to do this the coming Friday...Actually, I have got very little time to experiment with b4A and am at a very elementary level.. Do not want to break anything I have done all these years.. so will take appropriate backups to start all over again...

Thanks a lot again for your detailed post and for helping me.

Upvote 0

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi KMantle, Erel, Don Manfred and others...

Thanks a lot for your assistance. I was able to load the new SDK, invoke Erel's SDK Manager and download all the recommended items. Initially I had the issue in compilation ..Compiler gave ERROR:In <declare-styletable>FontFamilyFont, unable to find attribute android:font... likewise for android:fontstyle and android:fontweight.. After reading one of the posts in the forum I changed it to android-27 and the issue got resolved.

I have one doubt. Due to the change in the android-27 (I had set it to 14 in the manifest earlier), will my application work on older android mobiles ?

Thanks a lot...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I know this can be irritating. Android 27 here just means that you compile with the newest platform.

In the manifest you set on which platforms (Android versions from/to) your app runs. This depends on the libs and functions you use. Example: Some libs can only run on Android 5+ but the core functions run on all platforms. Android was expanded from version to version.

So you decide. All good. Just try.

Upvote 0

beelze69

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know this can be irritating. Android 27 here just means that you compile with the newest platform.

In the manifest you set on which platforms (Android versions from/to) your app runs. This depends on the libs and functions you use. Example: Some libs can only run on Android 5+ but the core functions run on all platforms. Android was expanded from version to version.

So you decide. All good. Just try.
Hi KMantle,

Thank you very much for your guidance..

Upvote 0