Android Question Geocoder library & APIkey

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
With the recent changes in GoogleMap platforms, I'm investigating on the requests of my app not to exceed the free of charge quota.

Does the geocoder library work without ApiKey ?
I don't understand what's happening. In my API console, I have enabled the Geocoding API and I have 350 requests in the last 30 days. This has no sense: I'm absolutely sure my app generates tenths geocoder request per day (reverse geocode, from lat/lon to address) and I have tenth of app running, it can't be 350 total in a months.
So I guess geocoder library does not use the ApiKey declared in the manifest for showing the map, but then I don't understand where those 350 request come from.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i guess the lib uses the geocoder from Android
android.location.Geocoder
I don´t know if this uses your key (if specified for google).

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the limitation is not active as of now as far as i know.

Beginning on June 11, 2018, you’ll need to enable billing with a credit card and have a valid API key for all projects. This will give you the ability to scale easily with less downtime and fewer performance issues. In addition, we’re simplifying our 18 individual APIs into three products: Maps, Routes, and Places.

Also, in June 2016 we announced that we would stop supporting keyless usage, meaning any request that doesn’t include an API key or Client ID. This will go into effect on June 11th, and keyless access will no longer be supported. At that time, keyless calls to the Maps JavaScript API and Street View API will return low-resolution maps watermarked with “for development purposes only.” Keyless calls to any of the following APIs will return an error: Maps Static API (including Static Street View), Directions API, Distance Matrix API, Geocoding API, Geolocation API, Places API, Roads API, and Time Zone API.
Let´s see what happen on 11th of june

Upvote 0