B4J Question [ABMaterial] Display formatted ABMEditor Text on table.

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there

I'm having an editor in my modal sheet, data is saved and retrieved property.

How can I convert this text to normal for display in an ABMLabel to show as normal text? Is there a built in function that can help with the formatting?

See Impact and Status below. These can contain paragraph text etc that I intend to limit to a particular number of characters before display.

Can someone please advise?

Tagged.png

Thanks

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This has been asked many times before on the forum and the answer is you can't. First thing you should ask yourself, why should I use an ABMEditor in the first place. Like in your example, it is hard to imagine 'On Hold 'must be so heavely formatted it needs its own iFrame, with its own CSS, Javascript, embedded images, etc.

As said before, an ABMEditor is an almost complete webpage (an iFrame), so loading such a list for e.g. 20 rows, would mean loading 21 almost full webpages! If you insist in using an ABMEditor, you will have to strip the html codes yourself (you could maybe replace the bold/italic/underline tags by {} tags to keep some formatting).

Upvote 0

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This has been asked many times before on the forum and the answer is you can't. First thing you should ask yourself, why should I use an ABMEditor in the first place. Like in your example, it is hard to imagine 'On Hold 'must be so heavely formatted it needs its own iFrame, with its own CSS, Javascript, embedded images, etc.

I think there has been some misunderstanding of my question and I didnt find any reference here specific to ABMEditor text in relation to my question. I am NOT at all using an ABMEditor on a table. My ABMEditor is on a modal sheet, the text is saved as HTML and retrieved as HTML to a database. What I want to do is display that saved text on a table without the tags. Forget about the 'On Hold', it's irrelevant, the issue is the tags around the text, thus my indication of ...These can contain paragraph text etc that I intend to limit to a particular number of characters before display.... I had thought there is an easier way to perhaps do that within ABM.

The last part of your answer however seems to address my problem and thanks. I have to strip the html codes myself. Ta!

Upvote 0

Mashiane

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You could also try to make an ABMCustomComponent with just a <div> and its innerHTML being what you get returned in the GetHTML() method. (untested)

If that would work, maybe I can look into a new method in ABMLabel (e.g. setTextAsRAWHTML).
You are a star!!! Thanks a million, will try the custom component so long.

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like it is possible if I would add a write-only TextAsRAWHTML property:

Note that we use ABM.SIZE_CUSTOM, which is a normal <div> tag
B4X:
Dim realEditorLbl As ABMLabel
realEditorLbl.Initialize(page, "realEditorLbl", "", ABM.SIZE_CUSTOM, False, "")
page.CellR(1,1).AddComponent(realEditorLbl)
Sub btn1_Clicked(Target As String)
   Dim editor As ABMEditor = page.Component("editor")
   Dim editorlbl As ABMEditor = page.Component("editorlbl")
   editorlbl.SetHTML(editor.GetHTML)
   editorlbl.Refresh  

Dim realEditorLbl As ABMLabel = page.Component("realEditorLbl")
   realEditorLbl.TextAsRAWHTML = editor.GetHTML
   realEditorLbl.Refresh
End Sub

The result in the label is pretty close (top = ABMEditor, read-only, bottom = ABMLabel)

editorlabel.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0