Android Question Custom in-app billings

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I consulted friendly companies that sell software and they told me that they put a free application in playtore, then on their website using a valid certificate they sell the activation of the license on a monthly basis, so that customers pay very little but always, in exchange for them they receive everything new in their application

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I consulted friendly companies that sell software and they told me that they put a free application in playtore, then on their website using a valid certificate they sell the activation of the license on a monthly basis, so that customers pay very little but always, in exchange for them they receive everything new in their application
Does Google know it? We don't know... if Google knows :)

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
@LucaMs ocalle is right. I do the same thing in my application Be Safe. When you first load it it requires an activation code which I sell to my customers through my site. If Google was checking the applications it should have found out that I do this and would have warned me about that or remove my application. Sei un fan del movimento cinque stelle?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
All of the apps we've created do this, too. Both one-time payment and recurring (subscription) payment scenarios. Never a problem.

Upvote 0

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
The European Union should regulate playstore so that google does not monopolize the applications, as it has the luxury of exposing services such as Firebase that later do not work in the middle of a project. The applications and services of Google to my understanding are highly unpredictable, greater than Microsoft and its operating systems updables to diarior (By faults of course)
This is my thought, when making an application I think about its portability and who will give me a stable service. Having a server very close to it.

Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
ocalle, I agree with much of what you said and would extend that to most every company out there. Which is why we, if at all possible, handle services that support our products in-house. We host our own servers and services (databases, communications, notifications, authentication, cloud storage, payments, backups, and so much more) for nearly everything ourselves. It may take a little bit of explaining *why* we do that to some of the clients, but mostly they appreciate it.

Still, there are times when we do have to partner with outside companies for those services but we do it very carefully and are constantly looking how to bring that back into the fold. It takes effort, money and attention, but it's always been worth it.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
However, the first answer, by @asales, confirms what I thought: you can not sell in-app "objects" "bypassing" Google.

You could be charged directly by your users if you published your app on your site.

One could object:
"But who knows your site?"

This is true but... who will find your app on the Market among the millions of those published?

Upvote 0

AHilton

Licensed User
Longtime User
LucaMs, of course you can. It may go against Google Play policies, though. But, it certainly has been working to not have to go through Google Plays' payment system. For small developers it is probably worth it to just pay your 1/3 app cost and then whatever the fee for in-app purchases just not to have to support the workaround methods.

We also host downloads and updates of some of our clients' apps (android and otherwise that we develop for them) from our websites as well as offering some on Google Play. We do the exact same thing regarding purchases for both hosting methods. It all depends on the developers' (and clients) needs. The point being … things as they stand today are flexible enough to be able to do this. That may become more restrictive in the future so we'll keep an eye on that.

Upvote 0