B4J Question Future of B4J

Blueforcer

Licensed User
Longtime User
We plan to implement a very large project with B4J. We know that it is feasible. But since it is a software that has to be maintained over several years, the question is to what extent B4J is future-proof. What happens if something happens (God forbid) to Erel? Is it still an oneman show or are there employees now who can take B4X further?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a relevant question, also for B4A and B4i. (Perhaps it should be posted to the Business Forum instead?)

There's even a term for it: Bus factor. (Wikipedia article) I have no insight into Anywhere Software, but I have worried more than once that the Bus factor might be 1.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The question came out in the past for b4a also.
What happens if something happens (God forbid) to Erel?
Erel pointed out that there are plans for this. So i guess this applies to B4J too.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even if Erel or his company takes more programmers and create a big developers pool, do this question gets solve ?

Remember FoxPro ? I have many huge application developed in it for many many clients, with FoxBase and then FoxPro. Microsoft bought FoxPro. We, developer felt 'saved' as MS is very big company with many programmers. MS closed FoxPro without even thinking about us and our clients, forget caring.

So, be realistic. Erel is not only serious about B4X but he loves it. I can feel he does not develop B4X mere for monetary gains but for his love for it. Just look at the features and option he keeps delivering.

He is NOT going to leave us in lurch like big MS.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel is not only serious about B4X but he loves it.

Nobody is disputing Erel's dedication or love. I think we all are very impressed and thankful for the amazing work he puts into his products and presence in this forum. (I'm assuming his day has 37 hours or something like that.) And personally I'm not really worried about Anywhere Software being bought by a bigger company and then swiftly killed, like Microsoft did with FoxPro.

I'm worried about potential health issues and accidents. It doesn't matter how much love you have in your heart, it will neither stop a bus nor a deadly disease.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
i like to have b4x enviroment in use for my lifetime +25 years without changing the license type.
but there are so many factors that can effect this development solution.

see ms, they are going the easy way and make a "new" product each year and they get greedy for money. i am still sad that vb6 died.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I already wrote it in the past however since B4A was released Microsoft has killed about 10 development tools / platforms. Examples:
- Silverlight
- .Net Compact Framework
- Lightswitch
- XNA
- RoboVM
- WinForms and WPF. Not really killed but not far from it.
- FoxPro.
- And others.

I believe that B4X will continue to evolve for many many years. There are all kinds of plans that I make to support it.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
I already wrote it in the past however since B4A was released Microsoft has killed about 10 development tools / platforms. Examples:
after Lightswitch they made PowerApps for business apps and its usable for private only, it will die next.
and i remember XNA was not backward compatible at some version updates^^
(buggy) Universal Windows Platform is also different from .net framework before but it was necessary. (unfortunately they gave up her new phone sector ..)
and ms bought and kill a very good 3d tool Caligari trueSpace^^.

Upvote 0

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X is better than Xamarin (for us at least), Why Microsoft (VB owner) doesn't think in B4X acquiring (if Mr. Erel does not mind), So this will be big step for both.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X is better than Xamarin (for us at least)
btw, i believe if u will use Xamarin at pc u need ms visual studio 2017 and then u need read the ms license accurate.
i tested Xamarin once but it was no fun to use.

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Don't forget, Microsoft abandoned Windows Mobile and replaced it with Windows Phone without any compatibility.
All programs written for Windows Mobile didn't run on Windows Phone.
This was also the 'death' of Basic4PPC.
Microsoft lost the phone market.
And Erel offert us Basic4Android and now the B4X suite.

Upvote 0

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
+ older Windows Mobile development was not possible in newer ms visual studio ide^^
Microsoft lost the phone market.
i have a cheap Microsoft Lumia 532 Smartphone,
after upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 it died after awhile because ms ..
at windows 8 there was so much good apps there ...
on the other side the change to uwp-app was good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it would be a good idea to have some remote mirror of the b4x.com website since it contains lots of interesting information, just in case ...

Upvote 0

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have just done a very large project with B4J/I/A that is just about ready to go live and I worry about this frequently.

It doesn't have to be a bus - as I understand it Erel lives within sight of the Golan Heights!

I know "plans" are always volatile but it would put my mind more at ease (and those of any future customers of my product who dig a little) if Erel were to be a bit more detailed about his contingency plans.

If he would like to consider emigrating to Australia (one of the safest continents on the planet - politically, economically, geographically and geologically) he would have at least one very enthusiastic sponsor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4x is transpiler for Java. You can always retrieve the Java source files and compile them manually. I think that is another insurance for us.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Australia (one of the safest continents on the planet - politically, economically, geographically and geologically)
Don't forget Canada in your list of safe places... Although we live uncomfortably close to the Trump-mister...

I think Erel lived here as well at one time... That may contribute to where the genius aspect comes from... however - I could be wrong (I was once before ;) ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me explain you why I am not concerned with the future of B4x.

At least a couple of reasons.

We all esteem Erel and we read before about a "plan B" in case it would ever been needed. That's enough for me.
In addition, years ago a company named Turbo Power Software (owner of very good Turbo Pascal libraries) was acquired by someone who decided to shift their focus on a different core business and they released source code of all their libraries. This makes for a generous and well appreciated plan B, IMHO.

Another point is: if I develop a software using version x.y of B4x and the world comes to an end..well I could still manage bug-fixing and updates (to some extent) to my code as long as I have a copy of that same B4x version. Yes, I won't be able to cope with advancement and new features at the OS-level or some specific point, but at a large I will have enough time to move to a different development platform if the need arises.

About the bus.. if you're the chief architect of a very complex software, are you sure your company will survive a bus hitting you? I mean, maybe the ones that should express more concern are our customers not us.

Anyway, let's think positive. Don't sit in the cavern overthinking about the dangers out there; just go out and explore! .... good luck... ehehe

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
we read before about a "plan B" in case it would ever been needed. That's enough for me.
In addition, years ago a company named Turbo Power Software (owner of very good Turbo Pascal libraries) was acquired by someone who decided to shift their focus on a different core business and they released source code of all their libraries. This makes for a generous and well appreciated plan B, IMHO.

Sorry, I need a little bit of clarification here. Are you saying that Erel has described a ”plan B” somewhere, where the source for B4X and all libs would be ”released” to the world in some way, if something would happen to him and he's unable to continue his work?

If so, can you please point me to that post? (I haven't been able to find any details about this.)

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No, I simply recalled what a different company did years ago.
I've got no insights in Erel's plans and, frankly, I don't need them. He will surely do for the best.

Upvote 0