Wish A way to use external libraries make by others

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4i had an excelent fuction: hosted build which saved us money to buy a real Mac. However, I can not use external libraries make by others because I can not upload .h/.a file to the cloud. The same situation with in line Object C code that need .h file too.
I wish Erel could create a solution that each user can upload to his own library folder on hosted build. "Own library folder" means only this user can use it because some libraries are paid version and can not be shared.

My words may not clear enough but I hope you can understand. Thank you.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can see the problems too in this scenario with hosted build server (1. paid and free user made libraries 2) technical problem for B4i)

Maybe a solution can be that Erel implements some procedure (when using hosted builder) that B4i looks in a local folder for a library included in the B4i project (on the local PC) and if the library is not present on the hosted builder, B4i will upload it to the B4i hosted build server together with the code to compile? The library itself could be deleted on the build server after a certain time so the build server won't be full of third party libraries.

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are all kinds of possible solutions. I do plan to upload libraries created by other developers.
Once they write to me that the library is stable and ready I will upload it.

How about the paid libraries?

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, it would encoure leaving libraries free if they weren't included.

Note that I'm not crticising paid libraries, even though I'm in the open software world myself, I just think that it's a good idea to encourage openess.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Once they write to me that the library is stable and ready I will upload it.
This could introduce a delay in development (understandably since you cannot be around 24 hours all year around) since it is not an automatic process. This is the only drawback of this solution.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, it would encoure leaving libraries free if they weren't included.
Can't really see how this is related to the topic of this thread?
There are many free libraries in this forum (like the ones I have published) but there are also paid ones. We cannot really expect that all libraries should be free. Should we expect that Erel gave away the B4x-products for free?

End off topic.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel
One more question: How can I upload .h file that need to be included if I use inline Object C? Does B4i support something like AdditionalJar in B4A?

@Troberg
I always donate/pay for useful libraries I used in my apps. I think it's fair if you can make money by using this.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It doesn't matter whether the library is free or not. You will not be able to use it without the xml file so they are protected.
This is a risky solution. Considering that in B4A it is very difficult to protect your library, B4I libraries had inherent protection, but now you are relying on an open xml file to do that?
I think the correct way to do it would be to compile the users apk with the users own Library and AdditionalLibraries folder even if it means taking longer to upload them all.

Troberg

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Troberg
I always donate/pay for useful libraries I used in my apps. I think it's fair if you can make money by using this.

I don't mind paying, but my main preference is to pay for good community code by providing more good community code. If someone gives me a step on my ladder, I think the best way to show apreciation is to add my own steps to the common ladder.
But, as I said, that is my preference, I respect other ways of doing it as well.

Last edited: