B4J Tutorial [ABMaterial] Populate a combo based on another selection

Discussion in 'B4J Tutorials' started by Harris, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member Licensed User

You may be thinking that I create these tutorials for myself. You may be right!!!
    My RAM memory is very limited. Erel has offered (us) a place to securely store them (he is so kind) for future reference... Anyways...

As I have discovered, everything reacts by the on_click event - meaning - you must code an on_click event Sub in order to act upon your desired action. These are raised in the Page_ParseEvent(Params As Map) which are common to each page, and reacts to (almost) every mouse click (or touch). pretty neat way of handling this although I expect this is common... (what do I know? - just a hack).

Here, I need to populate a combo list (to reduce items to logical selections) BASED on a previous selection.
    In this case, I must select a "vehicle type" - selection 1 (returns 1,2,3 as the SetActiveItemId ).

Based on the combo.ActiveItemId of selection 1, I can call a sub to create a list of associated items for the associated combo (which depends on a selection of the first)...

This is called when a "Vehicle Type" is selected (from the combo selection):

Code:
    Sub utcombo1_clicked(target As String)

Dim inp As ABMModalSheet = page.ModalSheet("vehicleinp")

Dim utc As ABMCombo    = inp.Content.Component("utcombo1")

Dim itc As ABMCombo    = inp.Content.Component("itcombo1")
        itc.Clear
        itc.SetActiveItemId(
    "")

Dim itm As String = utc.GetActiveItemId

Dim sql As SQL = DBM.GetSQL

Dim users As List = DBM.SQLSelect(sql"SELECT * FROM insptype_mast WHERE Trk_Trl = "&itm&" ORDER by Name" )' & SelectedRowId)
        If users.Size > 0 Then

For i = 0 To users.Size -1

Dim user As Map = users.Get(i)

Dim id As String = user.Get("pk")

Dim val As String = user.Get("name")
               itc.AddItem(  
    id, val, BuildSimpleItem("S"&id"mdi-action-star-rate""{NBSP} - {NBSP} {NBSP}"&val))

Next  

End If
        DBM.CloseSQL(
    sql)

Log(" Retreived vehicle items...")
        itc.Refresh
    End Sub
    This "over-rides" what ever I set when initializing the page with a current list (using - clear) based on vehicle type selection. Yes I know, clear as mud.... You must experiment to figure this out for the most part...

Example image: Shows only Trucks in Inspection Type list. ("SELECT * FROM insptype_mast WHERE Trk_Trl = "&itm)... from above...

seltruck.png

One more note: Maps are our best friend.
    It took me a year to discover (4 years ago) how to use Maps.
    Recently, I discovered that a List (object) can contain Maps (objects)!
    It was always there and being used yet I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Thanks

2. codie01

codie01 Member Licensed User

Good Day Harris,

This looks awesome. You may have read my other thread. I need help with my website connecting to the database. What is DBM? Can you provide some sample code for a connection Initialization and use of.

Thanks, Ill send a trout. :)

3. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member Licensed User

Yes, I saw your other post and responded.

Thx.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice