AdMob: what are the chances to actually earn something?

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As per my question in the title:

using AdMob, what are the chances to actually earn something? Perhaps someone using AdMob can explain how it works and their experience.

I published a free app back in January and I am really surprised with how well it is performing. As of today, it has reached nearly 51000 downloads but the most amazing part is that it has 13000 active installs (and growing). Considering that the app is not for everyone and graphically it is really ugly (I consider functionality more important), I am really pleased with the results.

I am currently writing a "pro-version" and hopefully some of my active users (based on Active Installs) will purchase it but I am not counting on it. Therefore, I was considering adding AdMob to the free version and if I am in luck, maybe I can earn a few cents (euros) which can contribute in financing this programming-hobby of mine. :)

So being realistic, using AdMob, how much can one expect to earn? How does it work? A user clicks on a link (add) and voilà I earn some cents? As I said in the beginning, I'd love to hear about your experience to help me better understand if it is worthwhile adding AdMob to my free version or not.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think your app is really cool because it got so many downloads. I published 4 apps and they're not so popular (2 apps got more than 20.000 downloads, 1 app more than 5000, 1 app more than 2000). They're totally free with AdMob ads. The best thing is I earn nearly 90$/month from them. I read that many developers earned so much money just from ads. Why don't you try this? :D

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Congrats! That's awesome! :sign0188:

So how does it work? A user must click on an ad and then it generates a revenue for you? How much is a click worth? Can you for instance choose what kind of ads (categories such as technology) should be shown?

I think your app is really cool because it got so many downloads. I published 4 apps and they're not so popular (2 apps got more than 20.000 downloads, 1 app more than 5000, 1 app more than 2000). They're totally free with AdMob ads. The best thing is I earn nearly 90$/month from them. I read that many developers earned so much money just from ads. Why don't you try this? :D

Last edited:

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Kamac: I sent you a PM :D

@Moster67: Yes, you only earn money when user click on an ad. The worth of a click is depend on how advertiser want to pay. Some clicks got 0.01$ but some clicks got 0.03$. In first time, your app only show AdMob ads, later your app can show AdSense ads too.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes

1 cent or less.

Yes, by describing your app when adding ADmob.

Actually I think it's 1 cent or more...

I think you need to work out how your App is used and when and where you display the ads... Ideally Users need to spend a lot of time in your App and the ad needs to be fairly unobtrusive, but still allow them the chance of seeing it and selecting it, if they feel like it. In my Apps we've placed more data in there, so users are spending more time in the App itself and therefore impressions are going up and clicks seem to have gone up as well. :) If there isn't the need to access the App and see the advert, then it won't be seen (impressions) or selected.. therefore no revenue. At the moment the nos. are rising, but it could trail off once the nos. settle down. I also made the initial mistake of attempting to treat an App like a traditional piece of software, to not have too many updates or new versions. After reading on here (susu's excellent thread, iirc) I now attempt to update on a weekly basis... Just tweaking here or there or adding new items. This seems to work and as the no. of downloads goes up you steadily rise above other Apps. I would suspect that offering a Paid For version, alongside a Free but slightly functionality lacking version of your App would work well. Users get to try for Free, but if they want extra functionality they must pay. It wouldn't take that many paid for users for us to earn more than the AdMob revenue, but some people simply don't like paying for an App. Even more so if they can't trial it before buying. There is a recent article about it somewhere.. either bbc.co.uk or telegraph.co.uk I also offer my Free Apps on slideme.org - we get around a 10% boost to the installs from that. I think the nos. are anywhere from around 1/5 to 1/3 conversion rate from installed free users to paid for users... On the nos. front I prefer to be pessimistic.

:)

codesortie

there are better parallel options to admob

I m a little late in this discussion but I think u all get a lot of downloads to your apps, congratz for tat,
just to share I use admob and one more network,

the other one pays me 0.5$ per download from US and 0.1$ per non US download, in addition to this I have a bonus code due to which I get 25$extra for first 100 download of each app and more bonus for first 1000 and first 10000 downloads
my point in telling all this is you can earn a gud cash with admob but its better to get some extra cash form ur app ...

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Admob

Hello all, sorry if i'm a little late on this thread, but just wanted to share my experience with admob.

I have around 7 published apps, but from those 7 there are only two in particular that make me a few bucks with admob, i must say i'am really please with the performance in average i make around 200 dollars a month from ads with admob, I just started making a little more since the release of my latest app, since i was seeing very good results i decided to put their ads on my latest app, and again i'am very impressed with the income i'm generating from those two apps, I also make around 100 to 150 extra on those same two apps from another ad provided call SendDroid, just last month i received a little more than 300 dollars just from sendDroid thanks to the two apps.

my apps are not that great either but they are generating some cash for me which is awesome, i can only think if i dedicated more time and more creativity to my apps, i would probably make a lot more.

Anyhow these are my two money making apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dandre.apps&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5kYW5kcmUuYXBwcyJd

and this other one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genesisitdev.thepiratebay&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nZW5lc2lzaXRkZXYudGhlcGlyYXRlYmF5Il0.

Regards,
Walter

robife

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow, Nice to hear that almost all off you are making money, I just registred on admob and I have only 1 app there, that generated 1$ for 1 day hahah, and I was very happy about it.