Alternative Syntax IDE - Would it be feasible?

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Here's a question for the B4X developers (@Erel):
- Assuming there was a reason to do it, would it be technically feasible to change the current syntax from BASIC to Python (for example)?

I have no idea how the source code or project structure looks like, but if the B4X commands are sitting on a database where you have the BASIC syntax on the left column and the Java syntax on the right column, perhaps a new column could be added with another language syntax.

I almost sure the reply will be "it's not possible", but to be honest the BASIC syntax isn't even taught in schools anymore.
The world has moved to Python as the preferred high-level language to teach newcomers into the development world (along-side with JavaScript).

I'm not saying the BASIC syntax should be dropped, but perhaps we could have an alternative syntax being translated to (ugh!) Java.
IDE Options --> Select Language --> Python

On a side-note, as with the localization project, it would be nice to see Anywhere Software open-sourcing some parts of the IDE or even the language itself. That way we could all contribute into it. :)

Sorry in advance.

EDIT: The greatest weakness of the Python language, in my opinion, is the lack of mobile support. There are no proper solutions (compared to B4A) that allow developers to create Python based apps.
B4A, as incredibly powerful as it is, if it offered a sister-product named P4A, it could capture the attention, interest and money of thousands of Python developers worldwide.
Erel, if you develop P4A and P4i, you'll become the next Elon Musk!!! :D

Last edited:

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
At first I was loling, but after some thought I think is not a bad idea the main problem is that b4x products were not created in one night. May be several years will pass before such tool is working and who knows if by then Python becomes a mainstream language for Android, ios, etc.

You know for sure that that escenario will not happen with basic.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that the programming language is not BASIC. It is B4X - a programming language with syntax that is somewhat similar to visual basic.

Assuming there was a reason to do it, would it be technically feasible to change the current syntax from BASIC to Python (for example)?
Technically it is possible to create a compiler for a different programming language.
(I'm not familiar with Python enough to say whether it supports features in B4X such as resumable subs, event driven and others.)
Practically, I don't see it happening, but who knows...