Always on top Window

francisco cobos

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Is it possible from a basic4 appicattion to make a window (in desktop) in other aplication to stay "always on top"?
I can guess that could be possible usig the "Door library", but I don't now how.

Thanks in advance if you can help me.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For desktop applications you should explore my FormExDesktop library whose forms are better suited, in a lot of cases, to desktop only apps than the native Basic4ppc form though there are a few pitfalls you might experience. FormEx forms have a TopMost property.

With the Door library on a normal Basic4ppc Form you might think you could do this, Obj1 is a Door library Object.
B4X:
Obj1.New1(false)
Obj1.FromControl("Form1")
Obj1.SetProperty("TopMost", True)
However it won't work as you might expect as a Basic4ppc Form only allows one Form to be displayed at a time on the desktop so showing a Form hides the currently displayed Form automatically. I assume that this is done to emulate what the user sees on the device. See the FormEx demo for multiple FormExs on the desktop.

EDIT:- I've just noticed you said "other application" in which case the Door library might work. I say might as I think that TopMost may only work within an application and not on the desktop as a whole but I am not sure!

Last edited:

francisco cobos

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Agrahan and Cableguy,

What I'm triyng to do, is to manage an external applicattion, not a form in my own application. I have tried the Dimitris library in this way:

dxf="ProductView - ["& FileDirname(fichero_LI) &"\"& TABLE1.Cell("ASSY",0) & ".dxf"&"]"
dz.BringWindowToFront(dxf)

This works fine, but I would like to left this window "always on top" instead.

Thanks, moito obrigado.

Francisco Cobos
Spain