Android: Augmented Reality

XverhelstX

Licensed User
Longtime User
We are actually now making an app/game using Augmented Reality. ;)
There are two forms of Augmented Reality.

1) With an identified paper, marker (this is used in the vid).
ARToolKit Home Page
I will take a look at this.

2) Uses the GPS, Compass, Accelerometer to determine your location and what you are viewing. (<= what we will use)

Layar and wikitude is a good example of AR technology

EDIT: Intresting Article: http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/42482/0/page/1

Cheerz,
XverhelstX

Damn, I just played with some AR technology and I will definately make a lib for this.
I played a small pong game and drew some 3d models.
So awesome. I would probably need you though Jim as you seem to be good with Models and OpenGL.
Do you have skype?
Add me Xverhelstx

Last edited:

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
> So awesome. I would probably need you though Jim as you seem to be good with Models and OpenGL.

For sure. I would love to see AR + OpenGL models in actions
PM me with some general ideas. I can supply the code and models. Nothing too fancy though. My art is terrible

> Do you have skype?

Unfortunately not. Connection is so slow here. The carrier pigeons are faster (hee)
Feel free to PM me

XverhelstX

Licensed User
Longtime User
K I found a good library, but it's licensed under GNU GPL 3.0 means we can use it only open source :(

You should definately try this out:

Print this: http://andar.googlecode.com/files/AndARPongMarker.pdf
and download the APK here.

It is a little pong game. Works slow and laggs something, but it's a nice piece of work.

You should also look for AndAR ModelViewer and download Marker: here

This is what we basically will be looking for in the library. Drawing a model with OpenGL on the marker..

XverhelstX

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I played around with the andAR examples. They work quite well (although the updating is a little slow)

Regarding OpenGL object rendering, I am not sure what coordinate system AR uses, but for positioning the object all I would need are OpenGL world coordinates (x,y,z). The rotation values would also be required (pitch,yaw,roll)